Professor Ming Hua Liu
Professor of Finance
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 - ext: 5398
- Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) in Economics (University of Wales, Bangor, UK)
- FRM (Financial Risk Manager) certified by GARP (Global Association of Risk Professionals)
- Master of Science in Economics (University of Wales, Cardiff, UK)
- Bachelor of Economics (Renmin University of China, Beijing)
Dr Liu is currently a professor of finance. Before joining AUT, he had worked in Singapore as an associate professor of banking and finance at Nanyang Technological University and an assistant vice president of asset/liability management at DBS Bank. He has also worked in University of Macau for a few years as an associate professor of finance.
Dr Liu’s areas of expertise are in banking, investments and financial risk management. He is an associate editor of Frontier of Business Research in China. Dr Liu’s research has won best paper awards at major international finance conferences.
Dr Liu has taught many finance courses at both undergraduate and postgraduate levels. Dr Liu has extensive experiences in executive training.
Expertise in Degree and Postgraduate Teaching
- Risk and Portfolio Management
- Financial Risk Management
Interests in Research Supervision
- Financial Risk Management
Banking, Investments and Financial Risk Management
Current Research Projects:
- Chinese financial markets
- Banking related issues
- Financial risk management
- “Do Chinese Retail Option Traders Know Anything about Market Volatility?” Ming-Hua Liu and Nanda K. Rangan. Frontier of Business Research in China. Forthcoming.
- “Deposit rate pass-through and competition: Evidence of Macao”, Ming-Hua Liu and Mila Wang, Macao Monetary Research Bulletin 22, 2012, pp. 83-109.
- "Risk appetite, carry trade and exchange rates", Ming-Hua Liu, Dimitri Margaritis, and Alireza Tourani-Rad, Global Finance Journal 23, 2012, pp. 48 - 63.
- "Asymmetric information and price competition in small business lending", Ming-Hua Liu, Dimitri Margaritis, and Alireza Tourani-Rad, Journal of Banking and Finance 35, 2011, pp. 2189-2196.
- "Is there an asymmetry in the response of diesel and petrol prices to crude oil price changes? Evidence from New Zealand", Ming-Hua Liu, Dimitri Margaritis, and Alireza Tourani-Rad, Energy Economics 32, 2010, pp. 926-932.
- "Monetary policy and rigidity of interest rates in China", Ming-Hua Liu, Dimitri Margaritis, and Alireza Tourani-Rad, Applied Financial Economics 19, 2009, pp. 647-657.
- "Islamic Banking: interest-free or interest based?", Beng Soon Chong and Ming-Hua Liu, Pacific Basin Finance Journal 17, 2009, pp. 125-144.
- "Monetary Policy Transparency and Pass-Through of Retail Interest Rates", Ming-Hua Liu, Dimitri Margaritis and Alireza Tourani-Rad, Journal of Banking and Finance 32 (2008), pp. 501-511.
- "Analysis of the Long-Term Relationship between Macroeconomic Variables and the Chinese Stock Market Using Heteroscedastic Cointegration", Keshab. M. Shrestha and Ming-Hua Liu, Managerial Finance 34, 2008, pp.744-755.
- "Mean Reversion of Profitability: Evidence from the European Listed Firms", Yener Altunbas, Antonis Karagiannis, Ming-Hua Liu and Alireza Tourani-Rad, Managerial Finance 34, 2008, pp. 799-815.
- "Do retail options traders know better about market volatility?", Cheny Chen, Ming-Hua Liu, Hoa Nguyen, American Journal of Finance and Accounting 1, 2008, pp. 1-19. "Share Repurchases in NewZealand", H. Koerniadi, Ming-Hua Liu and A. Tourani-Rad, Advances in Financial Economics12, 2007, 481- 498.
- "The wealth effect of forced bank mergers and cronyism", Beng Soon Chong, Ming-Hua Liu, Kok Hui Tan, Journal of Banking and Finance 30, 2006, pp. 3215 - 3233.
- "Monetary transmission via the administered rates channel", Beng Soon Chong, Ming-Hua Liu and K. Shrestha, Journal of Banking and Finance 30, 2006, 1467-1484.
- "Contrarian and momentum strategies in the China stock market: 1993-2000", Joseph Kang, Ming-Hua Liu and Sophie X. Ni, Pacific Basin Finance Journal 10, 2002, pp. 243-265. (This paper won the best paper award at the 13th PACAP/FAM Annual Finance Conference, Seoul, Korea, July 2001).
- "Risk and Efficiency in Japanese Banking", Y. Altunbas, Ming-Hua Liu, P. Molyneux and R. Seth, Journal of Banking and Finance 24, 2000, pp. 1605-1628.
- "Valuation of Singapore Corporate Bonds and Implications", Joseph. Kang, Kah Hwa Ng, and Ming-Hua Liu, Advances in Pacific Basin Financial Markets, 1998, Vol. 4. No. 1, pp. 357-376.
- "Liberalization of Financial Markets: Singapore is almost there", Ashish Lall and Ming-Hua Liu, Law and Policy in International Business, Georgetown University Law Center, 1997, No. 2. pp. 619-647.
- "The Cost Structure of Philippines Banks", Ming Hua Liu, Kah Hwa Ng, and Nanda K. Rangan. Advances in Pacific Business, Economics and Finance, Vol. 2, No. 1, 1996. pp. 109-120. JAI Press, Greenwich, Connecticut, United States.
- "Operating Efficiency of Malaysian Banks", Ming Hua Liu, Nanda K. Rangan, and Kah Hwa Ng. Advances in Pacific Basin Financial Markets, Vol. 1, 1995, pp. 277 286. JAI Press, Greenwich, Connecticut, United States.
- "The Impact of Universal Banking on the Risks and Returns of Japanese Financial Institutions", Beng soon Chong, Ming-Hua Liu, and Yener Altunbas, Pacific Basin Finance Journal, Vol. 4, Nos. 2-3, July 1996, pp. 181-195. (This paper won the Chicago Board Options Exchange Award at the 7th Annual PACAP Finance Conference in July 1995).
- "Budget Participation and Satisfaction: the Influence of Managerial Interaction and Uncertainty", J. J. Williams and Ming Hua Liu. Accountancy and Business Review, Vol. 2, No. 1, January 1995, pp. 85 110. Singapore.1995.