Dr Karin Olesen
Senior Lecturer in Business Information Systems
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 - ext: 5327
- Doctor of Philosophy in Information Systems
- Master of Commerce (Honours) in Information Systems
- Graduate Diploma in Tertiary Teaching
- Bachelor of Commerce (Accounting and Finance)
- Chartered Accountant (CA)
Interests in Research Supervision
- Social and organisation aspects of information technology, Grounded theory, ethnography and case research
- Accounting systems including ERP(Enterprise Resource Planning) systems implementation in organisations
Selected journal publications
- Buchan, H., Olesen, K., Black, A., Kumar, R., (2013) “ Compliance Costs: The Impact of the Increased GST Rate on Two New Zealand Businesses”, NZ Journal of Applied Business, 10, 2, 49-67.
- Olesen, K., Narayan, A.K., Ramanchandra, S., (2013). "Technological frames: Influence of group frames (Ingluence)", Problems and Perspecctives in Management, 11, 1 , 62-74.
- Olesen, K., Narayan, A.K., Ramanchandra, S., (2013). “The Challenges of Information Technology (IT) Governance in Public Universities over time”, Corporate Control and Ownership , 10, 2-2, 258-266.
- Ohms, C., Olesen, K., (2012). “A New General Anti-Avoidance Rule for the United Kingdom", New Zealand Tax Planning Report, 6, 1-14.
- Olesen, K. (2012) "Implications of dominant technological frames over a longitudinal period" Information Systems Journal,doi:10.1111/isj.12006, 1-22.
- Mat Husin, N., Olesen, K. & Hooper, K. (2012) "Analysis of IC Disclosure - An Illustrative Example", Journal of Intellectual Capital, 13(2), 196-220.
- Ohms, C., Olesen, K. (2012) "Legal Positivism and the Characterisation of Interest", Australian Tax Review, 41(1), 5-28.
- Narayan, A.K., Olesen, K., Ramanchandra, S., (2012). "Remodelling University Governance in Public Universities to Respond to the Dual Challenges of Academic Research and Commercialization", Corporate Control and Ownership, 10, 1, 6, 596-605.
- Ramachandra, S., Olesen, K. (2011) "Conformance and Performance", New Zealand Journal of Applied Business Research, 10(1), iv-x.
- Ohms, C., Olesen, K., (2011) "Corporate Governance and Tax Compliance", New Zealand Journal of Applied Business Reseach, 10(1), 17-24.
- Ohms, C., Olesen, K. (2011) "Deductibility of Interest: A Comparative Perspective: Conceptual Issues", Australian Business Law Review, 39(6), 406-433.
- Hyde, K.F., Olesen, K. (2011) “Packing for touristic performances”, Annals of Tourism Research, 38(3), 900-919.
- Olesen, K., Cheng, F. (2011) “Convergence of Accounting Standards Does Not Always Lead to Convergence of Accounting Practices: The Case of China”, Asian Journal of Business and Accounting, 4(1), 101-136.
- Olesen, K., Myers, M.D. (1999) "Trying To Improve Communication And Collaboration With Information Technology: An Action Research Project Which Failed", Information Technology & People, 12(4), 317-332.
Book and book chapters
- Considine, B., Parkes, A., Olesen, K., Blount, Y., Speer, D. (2012) Accounting Information Systems: Understanding Business Processes, 4e, Australia, Wiley Publishing
- Olesen, K., Hyde, K.F. (2012) Assessment of Grounded Theory Model of Packing for Air Travel: The Tourist in a New Environment. In Hyde, K.F., Ryan, C. & Woodside, A., Field Guide for Case Study Research in Tourism, Hospitality, and Leisure, Advances in Culture Tourism and Hospitality Research, Volume 6, 89-107, Emerald Group Publishing Limited
- Considine, B., Parkes, A., Olesen, K., Speer, D., Lee, M. (2010) Accounting Information Systems: Understanding Business Processes, 3e, Australia; Wiley Publishing
- Olesen, K. (2008) Incorporating Technological Change within Traditional Accounting Information Systems, Chapter 15. In K. Hooper, H. Davey, G. Liyanarachchi & S.M. Prescott (Eds) Conceptual Issues in Accounting: A New Zealand Perspective, 247-260, Melbourne: Cengage Learning