Associate professor Kenneth F Hyde
Associate Professor of Marketing
Phone: (64) 9-921-9999 ext. 5605
Memberships and Affiliations:
International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research
Editorial Board memberships:
Journal of Travel Research
Current Research Projects:
Like many researchers, I am interested in why people travel and what they do during their travels. Yet I believe, as researchers in tourist behaviour and decision-making, we need to be careful in our use of nomenclature. If we are researching vacation tourism rather than travel in general, we should say so. And when we research vacation decision-making and vacation behaviour, we need to take care whether we are examining structured, package vacations or free-wheeling independent vacations.
The motives for leisure tourism are well-established - novelty-seeking, relaxation, learning and a chance to socialise. But that does not explain all discretionary journeys. Some travel destinations are unique, non-substitutable and tied to things that are highly valued or deeply meaningful for the traveller. We call journeys to such destinations, pilgrimages. I am interested in these special journeys, and what drives people to undertake them.
- Hyde, K., Ryan, C., & Woodside, A. (2012). Field guide to case study research in tourism, hospitality and leisure (Advances in culture, tourism and hospitality research, Volume 6). Bingley, UK: Emerald. http://www.emeraldinsight.com/books.htm?issn=1871-3173&volume=6
- Hyde, K. & Harman, S. (2011). Motives for a secular pilgrimage to the Gallipoli battlefields. Tourism Management, 32, 1343-1351. doi:10.1016/j.tourman.2011.01.008.
- Hyde, K. & Olesen, K. (2011). Packing for touristic performances. Annals of Tourism Research, 38(3), 900-919. doi: 10.1016/j.annals.2011.01.002.
- Hyde, K. & Decrop, A. (2011). New perspectives on vacation decision making. International Journal of Culture, Tourism and Hospitality Research, 5(2), 103-111. doi:10.1108/17506181111139537.
- Abdul-Ghani, E., Hyde, K., & Marshall, R. (2011). Emic and etic interpretations of engagement with a consumer-to-consumer online auction site. Journal of Business Research, 64, 1060-1066. doi: 10.1016/j.busres.2010.10.009.
- Hyde, K. & Laesser, C. (2009). A structural theory of the vacation. Tourism Management, 30(2), 240-248.
- Hyde, K. (2008). Information processing and touring planning theory. Annals of Tourism Research, 35(3), 712-731.
- Hyde, K. (2008). The vacation flexibility index: A measure of independence in touring vacations. Tourism Analysis, 13(5/6), 437-444.
- Hyde, K. (2006). Information search strategies of destination naïve international vacationers. Journal of Travel & Tourism Marketing, 21(2/3), 63-76.
- Hyde, K. (2004). A duality in vacation decision making. Tourism Analysis, 8(2-4), 183-186.
- Hyde, K. and Lawson, R. (2003). The nature of independent travel. Journal of Travel Research, 42(1), 13-23.
- Hyde, K. (2000). Recognising deductive processes in qualitative research. Qualitative Market Research: An International Journal, 3(2), 82-90.