- Professor Bruce Behn, the immediate Past President of the American Accounting Association, and Associate Dean for Graduate and Executive Education and Deloitte LLP Professor at The University of Tennessee, USA, visited the Auckland University of Technology from 27 to 31 March, 2017.
During his visit Professor Behn met with Professor Geoff Perry, Deputy Vice-chancellor, Professor Kate Kearins, Acting Dean, Faculty of Business, Economics and Law, and other colleagues at AUT. He also delivered a public lecture hosted by Chartered Accountants Australia and New Zealand and participated in a research forum with the staff at the Department of Accounting.
The title of his public lecture was “Journey to a Learned Profession,” where he emphasised the importance of practice based research and research informed teaching in accounting. In his interactions with colleagues, he highlighted the importance of closer relations between academia and the accounting profession. To make research relevant, he underscored the need for researchers to work on projects that provided solutions for practical problems and guided policy initiatives.
- Professor Edwina Pio, (Management: Professor of Diversity) has accepted a two year appointment as the University Director of Diversity, in a position annexed to her role as a professor in the Faculty of Business Economics and Law. In the new role, Edwina will develop a programme of work to enhance our effectiveness and understanding in the crucial areas of advancing diversity and inclusiveness.
- Gillian Craig (Accounting) has been awarded a CPA Australia Divisional Presidents Award for Excellence in recognition of her outstanding efforts in developing the CPA Women in Business special interest group.
- Researchers from the Finance Department won three out of five best paper awards at the 2017 New Zealand Finance Colloquium.
- The newly formed Centre for Non-Adversarial Justice became the fifth Centre for the Faculty, which also has one Institute (NZ Work Research Institute) and one Group (Gender and Diversity Research Group).
Last updated: 10-Apr-2017 2.06pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.