Student visas and permits
If you are an international student you are required by law to hold a valid visa for the duration of your study at AUT. All new international students must show AUT a copy of their valid visa to study at AUT no later than semester start. To ensure you have a valid visa to study at AUT, we will send you reminders before semester starts.
Why you need a valid student visa
The New Zealand Government requires all international students to have a valid student visa for the duration of their academic study at AUT.
You need a valid student visa to complete your enrolment. It should show the correct programme and institute of study details (eg Bachelor of Business at AUT). It is your responsibility to ensure that your visa/permit is valid throughout the duration of your study at AUT.
There are consequences of not having a valid visa to study at AUT.
What happens if you don't have a valid visa
- Send you a final warning on the day that semester starts
- Suspend your services after one day of semester
- Send you a warning notice on day 2 of semester, confirming we have suspended your access to services at AUT
- After 14 days - withdraw you from your programme of study, cancel all your enrolment into papers and arrange a refund for you
- Notify Immigration New Zealand
Find out more about student visas
Immigration New Zealand can help with:
- Visa eligibility
- Terms and conditions of gaining a visa
- Application process
- Information about medical and x-ray certificates (if required)
- Immigration advice if you plan to apply for permanent residency or a work visa after your studies
Immigration New Zealand website
Last updated: 05-Dec-2017 11.40am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.