AUT Pacific Students Communications Scholarship (Undergraduate)
Closes 1 September each year
|Value of Award:||
$6,000 contribution towards fees|
|No. of awards:||
One scholarship will be awarded per year.|
This award is sponsored and organised by AUT’s School of Communication Studies for New Zealand-resident Pacific Islanders seeking communication-studies qualifications.
The scholarship is offered to assist one undergraduate full-time student in communication studies. One scholarship will be awarded per year. In exceptional circumstances, where two applicants are judged to be equally deserving and adequate funds are available, the school reserves the right make awards to both candidates.
- The successful applicant will be chosen according to the following criteria:
- • Demonstrated commitment to their community, measured by: leadership attributes within their school community; involvement in general community projects and activities
- • Academic excellence measured by overall meritorious academic performance at secondary school
- • The successful applicant must be a New Zealand-resident Pacific Island student who has been accepted onto an undergraduate programme of study in the School of Communication Studies at AUT.
How do students apply?
• Application for this scholarship is through the AUT on-line scholarship application system from July. Applicants will need to request one reference statement from their secondary school or a community leader through the on-line system. Applicants will be asked to upload:
• A transcript of academic results in the current and preceding year e.g. NZQA Record of learning.
• A written statement explaining how they meet the criteria of the scholarship.
• A brief Curriculum Vitae.
Applicants will be short-listed by a selection panel from the School of Communication Studies Equity and Diversity Committee.
Short-listed applicants may be asked to attend an interview. The interview panel may consist of representatives from the Pacific Island Media Association, School of Communication Studies, AUT, Pacific Media Centre, and a Pasifika representative from the Office of Pasifika Advancement.
How and when do students learn of the decision?
As soon as possible after the closing date. In exceptional circumstances, where two applicants are judged to be equally deserving and adequate funds are available, the school reserves the right make award s to both candidates.
What conditions are attached to acceptance of this award?
• This scholarship may not be held in conjunction with any other fees scholarship.
•The recipient may hold additional non-tuition fee based scholarships with the approval of the Head of Department and the Scholarships Office.
• All recipients must maintain regular contact with designated AUT Student Services Pasifika Support Centre Staff.
• As a Pasifika Scholarship recipient you will be required to undertake at least one community/promotional activity for both the School and PIMA, such as:
• The annual PIMA conference
• The Polyfest
• AUT Open Days and Màori/Pasifika Days
• All recipients must provide a report giving evidence of their community/promotional activity to the School Programme Leader, Student Matters.
Applicants must have completed an AUT Application for Enrolment (AFE).
The scholarship provides a contribution towards the student’s fees of $6,000 for one year of full-time study.
Who else has information about this award?
For guidelines, application forms and more information about this award contact:
Auckland University of Technology
Phone: +64 9 921 9837
Last updated: 18-Dec-2017 3.23pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.