This page is for AUT students and new applicants whose first language is not English or Māori. You will need to show that you can write, speak and understand English at the level required by your chosen degree or course of study. This is important because the University does not accept responsibility if you fail courses because of a lack of competence in English. Here are the ways you can provide evidence of your English language proficiency.
1. International students at secondary schools in New Zealand
See our Admission to Undegraduate degrees page for more details
- Students who gain University Entrance (UE) through a New Zealand secondary school qualification must provide evidence of their English language proficiency by meeting the UE literacy requirements
- You cannot replace the literacy requirement with an English language test result
- Some AUT qualifications have extra language requirements over and above UE literacy
See the AUT University Calendar for specifications of qualifications that have extra language requirements
2. Students with school, college or university qualifications gained outside New Zealand
If you are applying for admission to this University on the basis of a non New Zealand qualification, you can show evidence of your English language proficiency by sending official results for one of the following tests or qualifications. The results can be up to two years old.
IELTS (International English Language Testing System - Academic)
IELTS – Academic is the preferred English test for entry to AUT qualifications and is the required test for doctoral degrees, teacher education qualifications, and most health science degrees. You must provide a satisfactory IELTS result that is no more than two years old.
AUT English language programmes
Qualification taught and assessed in English
Official results of a qualification completed within the last two years that was taught and assessed wholly in English, in a country where English is the main language. The qualification must be at an appropriate level.
Other English tests and qualifications we accept
Some programmes may accept other recognised tests of English language. These include the AUT International Foundation Certificate with appropriate grades in English, TOEFL (Test Of English as a Foreign Language) and other university English certificates.
Please see the
AUT International Prospectus (5.7 MB, 88 pages)
for information on these other English qualifications and tests.