Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) is credit granted towards your AUT programme from previous tertiary studies or through life or work experience.
Two types of RPL you can apply for
- Formal - sometimes referred to as transfer or cross credit. Formal RPL gives you credit towards your current AUT programme for papers that you completed in another programme at AUT or another tertiary educational institution.
- Non-formal - credit for papers in your current AUT programme from previously acquired learning gained from life or work experience, or a combination of nonformal and formal learning.
To qualify for RPL credit, prior formal learning must normally have been undertaken within five years of the first date of enrolment into the programme for which credit is sought.
Fee for Recognition of Prior Learning
- There is a fee of NZ$73.60
- Credit for study undertaken at AUT is processed free of charge
- You can pay online or by cheque, cash or credit card at a fee payment counter at one of the Student Hubs
When to apply for RPL
Apply for RPL upon receiving an ‘Offer of Place’ into a programme. However, you may be able to apply at other times during your studies (check with your Programme Administrator).
Once an application for formal RPL (and all the material required to evaluate it) is lodged, evaluation normally takes 10-15 working days. At busy periods like the beginning of semester, evaluation can take longer because of increased demand.
If an application for formal RPL might affect your enrolment in an upcoming semester, you should ensure the application with required supporting material is lodged at least 3 weeks before the start of semester. We cannot guarantee that any applications lodged after this time will be evaluated in time to make the required changes to your enrolment.
Some programmes may accept RPL applications up to the end of week one of the semester. Please contact your Programme Administrator to find out more specific time frames for your programme.
Applications for both types of RPL (formal and informal) must be evaluated then approved by the Examination Board before the credit(s) can be put onto your academic record. Ensure that your application is processed in time, particularly if you require these credits as pre- requisites or to be eligible to graduate.
If your application for RPL is successful, and as a result you will not be enrolled full-time, this may affect your eligibility to receive student loans and allowances. Please contact Studylink to verify
How to apply for RPL
Recognition of formal prior learning (RFPL)
To apply for recognition of formal prior learning, you will need to submit the RPL Application Form, a copy of your transcript(s) and course descriptors for evaluation. There is a fee of NZ$73.60. There is no application fee for recognition of formal prior learning credit from AUT .
Download the Application form for Formal Prior Learning
Recognition of non-formal prior learning (RNPL)
To be assessed for non-formal prior learning you will need to provide evidence that you have met the learning outcomes in the paper. The assessment method will depend on the type of paper and may take the form of a portfolio, demonstration or challenge exam.
You will need to:
- Identify the paper(s) in your current programme for which you intend to apply for non-formal RPL
- Obtain the paper descriptor(s) - contact your Programme Administrator for a copy of these if they aren't online
- Discuss the method of assessment with the Paper Leader
- Pay the non-refundable non-formal RPL fee of NZ$73.60 per application*
- Prepare and submit your portfolio or sit the challenge exam
You can pay the RNPL fee online or by cheque, cash or credit card at a fee payment counter at the Student Hub.
*Please note: If your application is successful, you will also need to pay NZ$10 per approved credit.
Download and read the following files
Find out more