Your step-by-step guide to the application process for international students at AUT. Learn more about how and when to apply, and how you can help us process your application.Study Abroad and Exchange students - see how to apply here
1. Apply early
Visit the Immigration NZ website to see if you need a visa for New Zealand
Applying for 2017Semester 2
We recommend you apply as soon as possible to allow enough time for an outcome to be sent to you so that you can arrive in time for International Orientation on Monday 10 July 2017.
It is your responsibility to have the correct AUT visa to complete your enrolment.
Applying for 2018
- Applicants who need a visa for NZ: we recommend that you apply before 8 December 2017
- Applicants from visa free countries: we recommend that you apply before 12 January 2018
Programmes with other application deadlines
- Some programmes have a specific closing date
- Apply at any time for research-only programmes (Master of Philosophy, Master of Engineering, Doctor of Philosophy)
- Professional doctorates: the coursework component normally starts in the first semester. Applicants should have their admission confirmed by 30 November of the previous year
- For the following programmes that start at the end of October each year it is recommended that you apply before the end of September:
- Master of Professional Accounting and Postgraduate Diploma and Certificate in Professional Accounting
- Master of Applied Finance and Postgraduate Diploma in Applied Finance
- Master of Global Business and Postgraduate Diploma in Global Business
- Master of Marketing and Postgraduate Diploma in Marketing
Late applications - what happens if your application arrives after the dates above
- Non-visa free countries: your application will automatically be processed for the following intake. You will be advised accordingly.
- Visa free countries: your application will be processed if places are available in the programme. If there are no available places, your application will automatically be processed for the following intake, and you will be advised accordingly.
Please note: It is your responsibility to have the correct AUT visa to complete your enrolment.
International applicants living in New Zealand
If you are living in New Zealand and hold a current student visa, your application will be processed up to the start of the semester if places are available in the programme.
Please note: It is your responsibility to have the correct AUT visa to complete your enrolment. Access to services will not be permitted if enrolment is not complete.
2. Complete the application form
Apply online if you are from:
For applicants from countries/regions not listed above:
3. Submit your application
4. We acknowledge your application
- We will send you an acknowledgment email/letter, which explains how to check the status of your application
- We will contact you if we need more information
5. We assess your application
- We assess your application to ensure you have met the entry criteria for the programme(s) you are applying for
- We consider your academic history and relevant experience to make sure you can succeed in your programme
- Processing times (guide only – actual times vary according to programme): 1 week for undergraduate applications, 4 weeks for postgraduate applications
- Credit transfer/Recognition of Prior Learning applications will also take longer
6. You find out if your application has been accepted
- If your application is successful you will receive an Offer of Place letter, which includes information about tuition and other compulsory fees, insurance, when and how to pay your fees, student visas and where to find a copy of AUT’s refund policy
- If you applied through an AUT registered agent all correspondence will be sent to them
7. You decide about your offer
- If you accept your Offer of Place: sign and date the Acceptance of Offer form and return it by the due date
- Receiving an Offer of Place does not guarantee your place – to guarantee your place you must pay all fees in full by the due date. Places are subject to availability
- There are different ways to pay your fees
- If all places in the programme are taken when you decide to pay the fees and accept the Offer of Place, we will offer you a place in the next available intake
- If you are unable to start at AUT for the semester stated on your Offer, apply to International Admissions for a deferral
8. We send you a receipt
- We will send you an official receipt once we have received your payment
- You need to present this receipt to the nearest Immigration NZ office along with a copy of your Offer of Place to obtain a student permit/visa
9. Apply for your visa to study at AUT
Need more information?
Email email@example.comRefer to the glossary if there are any terms in the application form you don’t know
Phone +64 9 921 9099
Entry requirements for international students at NZ secondary schools:
Entry requirements for international students with overseas qualifications:
Foundation programmes - if you don't have the academic qualifications for direct entry into AUT programmes
Read more about Foundation programmes
Last updated: 18-Dec-2013 6.01pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.