Theoretical Research: A Computational Theory of Spatial Perception
We are currently testing Yeap's theory of cognitive mapping (Yeap, 1988; Yeap and Jefferies, 1999) using mobile robots equipped with different sensors. We are excited to have developed a robot that can find its way home using a cognitive map rather than an accurate metric map.
A Human Cognitive Mapping Process according to Yeap's theory.
- Jefferies M.E. and Yeap W.K. (eds.), Robot and cognitive approaches to spatial mapping, Springer Tracts in Advanced Robotics, 2008. Order here.
- Yeap W.K. From Spatial Perception to Cognitive Maps: How is the flow of information controlled? In H. Schultheis, T. Barkowsky, B. Kuipers and B. Hommel, editors, Control Mechanisms for Spatial Knowledge Processing in Cognitive/Intelligent Systems, pages 59-61, AAAI Press, 2007.
- J. Schmidt, C. K. Wong, and W. K. Yeap. Spatial Information Extraction for Cognitive Mapping with a Mobile Robot. In Conference on Spatial Information Theory: COSIT'07, Melbourne, Australia. Volume 4736 of Lecture Notes in Computer Science, pages 186-202. Springer-Verlag, 2007.
- C. K. Wong, J. Schmidt, and W. K. Yeap. Using a Mobile Robot for Cognitive Mapping. In International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI), Hyderabad, India, 2007.
- Jefferies M.E. and Yeap W.K., The utility of global representations in a cognitive map, Proceedings of the 2001 Conference on Spatial Information Theory, Morro Bay, California, 2001, 233 - 246.
- Yeap, W.K. and Jefferies, M.E., On early cognitive mapping, Spatial Cognition and Computation 2, 2000, 85 - 116.
- Yeap, W.K. and Jefferies, M.E., Computing a representation of the local environment, Artificial Intelligence, 107, 1999, 265 - 301.
- Jefferies, M.E. and Yeap, W.K., Representing the local space qualitatively in a cognitive map, Proceedings of the Twentieth Annual Conference of the Cognitive Science Society, Madison, USA, 1998, 525 - 530.
- Yeap, W.K., Jefferies, M. and Naylor, P.S., An MFIS for computing a raw cognitive map, Proceedings of the 12th International Joint Conference on AI, Sydney, Morgan Kaufmann Publishers Inc. 1991, 373 - 378.
- Yeap, W.K., Towards a computational theory of cognitive maps, Artificial Intelligence, 34, 1988, 297 - 360.
Dr Chee Kit Wong, Industrial Research Limited, Auckland
Professor Olaf Diegel, Director, Creative Industries Research Institute, AUT
Professor Philip Sallis, Director, Geoinformatics Research Centre, AUT
Professor Stephen Hirtle, University of Pittsburgh, USA
We are a partner University of the International Quality Network on Spatial Cognition organised by the Universities of Bremen, Freiburg, and Hamburg in Germany under a grant from the German Academic Exchange Service.
We are member of a Spatial Learning Network organised by Professors Nora Newcombe (Temple University), Susan Levine (University of Chicago) and Dedre Gertner (Nortwestern University), in connection with the Spatial Intelligence and Learning Center funded by NSF. See URL: www.spatiallearning.org.
Professor Yeap is a member of the Editorial Board for Spatial Cognition and Computation Journal 2008 - 2012.