Dr Matt Brughelli
Senior Lecturer - Exercise Science
Phone: 09 921 9999 x 7025
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgLinks to relevant web pages:
Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand
PhD (Edith Cowan University), MS (CSU Hayward), BS (CSU San Diego)
Memberships and Affiliations:External reviewer for: Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise; European Journal of Applied Physiology; Journal of Biomechanics; International Journal of Sports Medicine; Physical Therapy in Sport: Journal of Athletic Training; and Strength and Conditioning Journal.
- Human Movement
- Strength and Conditioning
- Kinetics and kinematics of sprinting
- Injury prevention in sport
- Development of strength, power, speed and agility
- Acute and chronic effects of eccentric exercise
Research Summary:Matt’s research primarily focuses on 1) improving athletic performance using sports biomechanics and strength and conditioning, and 2) reducing the risk of sporting injuries by investigating risk factors and injury prevention methods. Matt has published over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and is a reviewer for 8 international journals.
Current Research Projects:
Current PhD student projects (*=primary supervisor):
- *Sports-related concussions in New Zealand: Costs, incidence, assessment, identification, knowledge and management (with PhD student Doug King, New Zealand).
- *Effects of an intermittent sprint protocol on sprint mechanics and isokinetic dynamometry in elite female soccer players (with Masters student Sarah Manson, Canada).
- *Does leg symmetry matter in strength, balance and sidestepping measures for male rugby players? (with PhD student Scott Brown, USA)
- *Muscular activity and ground reaction forces during punching actions (with PhD student Seth Lenetsky, USA)
- *The effects of handheld loading on horizontal jumping biomechanics and performance in netballers (with Masters student Chloe McKenzie, New Zealand)
- *The effects of tapering on power output and performance variables in professional rugby league players (with Masters student James de Lacey, New Zealand))
- Relationships between static hip range of motion, pelvic tilt, and sprint kinematics and kinetics, and changes in hip flexibility across a sprint season (with Masters student Brodie Hewlett, New Zealand)
- Eccentric induced muscle damage following an acute bout of drop lunges (with Masters student Ben Reynolds, New Zealand)
- *Force-velocity profiling during resisted sprinting (with student Matt Cross, New Zealand)
Peer Reviewed Articles (since 2013):
* output with student
- *Brown S, Brughelli M. Determining return-to-sport status with a multi-component assessment strategy: A case study in rugby. Physical Therapy in Sport (In Press) 2014
- *Manson SA, Brughelli M, Harris NK. Physiological characteristics of international female soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Feb;28(2):308-18
- *Lacey JD, Brughelli M, McGuigan MR, Hansen K. Strength, Speed and Power Characteristics of Elite Rugby League Players. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Feb 10. [Epub ahead of print]
- *McKenzie C, Brughelli M, Whatman C, Gamble P. Enhancing Jump Performance with Handheld Loading. Strength and Conditioning Journal (In Press) 2014
- Mendiguchia J, Samozino P, Martinez-Ruiz E, Brughelli M, Schmikli S, Morin JB, Mendez-Villanueva A. Progression of Mechanical Properties during On-field Sprint Running after Returning to Sports from a Hamstring Muscle Injury in Soccer Players. Int J Sports Med. 2014 Jan 14. [Epub ahead of print]
- *King D, Brughelli M, Hume P, Gissane C. Assessment, Management and Knowledge of Sport-Related Concussion: Systematic Review. Sports Med. 2014 Jan 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- *Cross M, Brughelli M, Cronin J. Effects of Vest Loading on Sprint Kinetics and Kinematics. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Dec 27. [Epub ahead of print]
- Samozino P, Edouard P, Sangnier S, Brughelli M, Gimenez P, Morin JB. Force-Velocity Profile: Imbalance Determination and Effect on Lower Limb Ballistic Performance. Int J Sports Med. 2013 Nov 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- Cronin JB, Brughelli M, Gamble P, Brown SR, McKenzie C. Acute kinematic and kinetic augmentation in horizontal jump performance using haltere type hand-held loading. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Nov 5. [Epub ahead of print]
- *Lenetsky S, Harris N Brughelli M. Assessment and Contributors of Punching Force in Combat Sports Athletes: Implications for Strength and Conditioning. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 35(2):1-7, April 2013.
- *King D, Gissane C, Brughelli M, Hume PA, Harawira J. Sport-related concussions in New Zealand: A review of 10years of Accident Compensation Corporation moderate to severe claims and costs. J Sci Med Sport. 2013 Jun 17. [Epub ahead of print]
- *Brown SR, Griffiths PC, Cronin JB, Brughelli M. Lower-Extremity Isokinetic Strength Profiling in Professional Rugby League and Rugby Union. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2013 May 22. [Epub ahead of print]
- Los Arcos A, Yanci J, Mendiguchia J, Salinero JJ, Brughelli M, Castagna C. Short-Term Training Effects of Vertically and Horizontally Oriented Exercises on Neuromuscular Performance in Professional Soccer Players. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2013 Apr 9. [Epub ahead of print]
- *King D, Brughelli M, Hume P, Gissane C. Concussions in amateur rugby union identified with the use of a rapid visual screening tool. J Neurol Sci. 2013 Mar 15;326(1-2):59-63.
- Lower limb mechanical properties: significant references omitted. Morin JB, Girard O, Slawinski J, Rabita G, Dalleau G, Brughelli M. Sports Med. 2013 Feb;43(2):151-3.
- Brughelli M, Van Leemputte M. Reliability of power output during eccentric sprint cycling. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Jan;27(1):76-82.
Last updated: 04-Mar-2014 12.49pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.