Dr Matt Brughelli
Senior Lecturer - Exercise Science
Phone: 09 921 9999 x 7025
Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgLinks to relevant web pages:
Sports Performance Research Institute New Zealand
PhD (Edith Cowan University), MS (CSU Hayward), BS (CSU San Diego)
Memberships and Affiliations:External reviewer for: Medicine and Science in Sport and Exercise; European Journal of Applied Physiology; Journal of Biomechanics; International Journal of Sports Medicine; Physical Therapy in Sport: Journal of Athletic Training; and Strength and Conditioning Journal.
- Human Movement
- Strength and Conditioning
- Kinetics and kinematics of sprinting
- Injury prevention in sport
- Development of strength, power, speed and agility
- Acute and chronic effects of eccentric exercise
Research Summary:Matt’s research primarily focuses on 1) improving athletic performance using sports biomechanics and strength and conditioning, and 2) reducing the risk of sporting injuries by investigating risk factors and injury prevention methods. Matt has published over 30 peer-reviewed journal articles and is a reviewer for 8 international journals.
Current Research Projects:
Current student projects (*=primary supervisor):
- *Sports-related concussions in New Zealand: Costs, incidence, assessment, identification, knowledge and management (with PhD student Doug King, New Zealand).
- *Does leg symmetry matter in strength, balance and sidestepping measures for male rugby players? (with PhD student Scott Brown, USA)
- *Muscular activity and ground reaction forces during punching actions (with PhD student Seth Lenetsky, USA)
- *Effects of an injury prevention program on eccentric strength, deceleration performance and movement competency in netballers (with PhD student Chloe McKenzie, New Zealand)
- Eccentric induced muscle damage following an acute bout of drop lunges (with Masters student Ben Reynolds, New Zealand)
- *Force-velocity profiling during resisted sprinting (with Masters student Matt Cross, New Zealand)
Recent Postgraduate Completions (*=primary supervisor):
- *The effects of handheld loading on horizontal jumping biomechanics and performance in netballers (with Masters student Chloe McKenzie, New Zealand) 2014
- *The effects of tapering on power output and performance variables in professional rugby league players (with Masters student James de Lacey, New Zealand) 2014
- Relationships between static hip range of motion, pelvic tilt, and sprint kinematics and kinetics, and changes in hip flexibility across a sprint season (with Masters student Brodie Hewlett, New Zealand) 2013
- *Effects of an intermittent sprint protocol on sprint mechanics and isokinetic dynamometry in elite female soccer players (with Masters student Sarah Manson, Canada) 2013
Peer Reviewed Articles (since 2013):
* output with student
- *Lenetsky S, Nates RJ, Brughelli M, Harris NK. Is effective mass in combat sports punching above its weight? Hum Mov Sci. 2015 Apr;40:89-97.
- *King D, Hume PA, Brughelli M, Gissane C.Instrumented mouthguard acceleration analyses for head impacts in amateur rugby union players over a season of matches. Am J Sports Med. 2015 Mar;43(3):614-24.
- *Cross MR, Brughelli M, Brown SR, Samozino P, Gill ND, Cronin JB, Morin JB. Mechanical Properties of Sprinting in Elite Rugby Union and Rugby League. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2014 Oct 13. [Epub ahead of print]
- *Brown SR, Brughelli M, Hume PA. Knee mechanics during planned and unplanned sidestepping: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Sports Med. 2014 Nov;44(11):1573-88.
- *de Lacey J, Brughelli M, McGuigan M, Hansen K, Samozino P, Morin JB. The effects of tapering on power-force-velocity profiling and jump performance in professional rugby league players. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Dec;28(12):3567-70.
- *Brown SR, Brughelli M . Determining return-to-sport status with a multi-component assessment strategy: a case study in rugby. Phys Ther Sport. 2014 Aug;15(3):211-5.
- *Brown S, Brughelli M. Determining return-to-sport status with a multi-component assessment strategy: A case study in rugby. Physical Therapy in Sport. 2014 Aug;15(3):211-5
- *Manson SA, Brughelli M, Harris NK. Physiological characteristics of international female soccer players. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Feb;28(2):308-18
- *Lacey JD, Brughelli M, McGuigan MR, Hansen K. Strength, Speed and Power Characteristics of Elite Rugby League Players. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Aug;28(8):2372-5
- *McKenzie C, Brughelli M, Whatman C, Gamble P. Enhancing Jump Performance with Handheld Loading. Strength and Conditioning Journal (In Press) 2014
- Mendiguchia J, Samozino P, Martinez-Ruiz E, Brughelli M, Schmikli S, Morin JB, Mendez-Villanueva A. Progression of Mechanical Properties during On-field Sprint Running after Returning to Sports from a Hamstring Muscle Injury in Soccer Players. Int J Sports Med. 2014 Jul;35(8):690-5
- *King D, Brughelli M, Hume P, Gissane C. Assessment, Management and Knowledge of Sport-Related Concussion: Systematic Review. Sports Med. 2014 Apr;44(4):449-71
- *Cross M, Brughelli M, Cronin J. Effects of Vest Loading on Sprint Kinetics and Kinematics. J Strength Cond Res. 2014 Jul;28(7):1867-74
- Samozino P, Edouard P, Sangnier S, Brughelli M, Gimenez P, Morin JB. Force-Velocity Profile: Imbalance Determination and Effect on Lower Limb Ballistic Performance. Int J Sports Med. Jun;35(6):505-10
- *Lenetsky S, Harris N Brughelli M. Assessment and Contributors of Punching Force in Combat Sports Athletes: Implications for Strength and Conditioning. Strength & Conditioning Journal. 35(2):1-7, April 2013.
- *King D, Gissane C, Brughelli M, Hume PA, Harawira J. Sport-related concussions in New Zealand: A review of 10years of Accident Compensation Corporation moderate to severe claims and costs. J Sci Med Sport. 2014 May;17(3):250-5
- *Brown SR, Griffiths PC, Cronin JB, Brughelli M. Lower-Extremity Isokinetic Strength Profiling in Professional Rugby League and Rugby Union. Int J Sports Physiol Perform. 2014 Mar;9(2):358-61
- *King D, Brughelli M, Hume P, Gissane C. Concussions in amateur rugby union identified with the use of a rapid visual screening tool. J Neurol Sci. 2013 Mar 15;326(1-2):59-63.
- Morin JB, Girard O, Slawinski J, Rabita G, Dalleau G, Brughelli M. Lower limb mechanical properties: significant references omitted..Sports Med. 2013 Feb;43(2):151-3.
- Brughelli M, Van Leemputte M. Reliability of power output during eccentric sprint cycling. J Strength Cond Res. 2013 Jan;27(1):76-82.
Last updated: 24-Dec-2015 2.00pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.