Phone: +64 9 921 9999 – ext: 5531
- BCL/LLB (Hons) (McGill)
- LLM (NYU)
- JSD (NYU)
Leonid Sirota joined the AUT Law School in 2016, after completing graduate studies at the NYU School of Law. He had previously served as a law clerk at the Federal Court of Canada, and graduated from the McGill University Faculty of Law (with degrees in both civil and common law). His research and teaching focus on constitutional law and theory and related areas, such the law of democracy and the judicial power. In addition to scholarly writing, he is the creator of the Double Aspect Blog
, named Best Canadian Law Blog in 2014 and runner-up in 2015, and a contributor to several other legal blogs.
- Constitutional law
- Law of democracy
- Constitutional law (especially constitutional conventions, freedom of conscience and religion, and judicial review of legislation)
- Constitutional theory
- Law of democracy
- Legal philosophy
- Léonid Sirota “The Supreme Court and the Conventions of the Constitution” in Matthew Harrington (ed) The Court and the Constitution: A 150-year Retrospective (LexisNexis, Toronto, 2017) (forthcoming)
- Léonid Sirota & Benjamin Oliphant “Originalism in Canadian Constitutional Jurisprudence” (2017) 49 UBC Law Review (forthcoming)
- Benjamin Oliphant & Léonid Sirota “Has the Supreme Court of Canada Rejected ‘Originalism’” (2017) 42 Queen’s Law Journal 107 (https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers2.cfm?abstract_id=2749212)
- Maxime St-Hilaire & Léonid Sirota “Canadian Voter Identification Requirements in a Comparative Perspective” in Gregory Tardi (ed) The Informed Citizens’ Guide to Elections: Electioneering Based on the Rule of Law (Carswell, Toronto, 2015) 517.
- Léonid Sirota “‘Third Parties’ and Democracy 2.0” (2015) 60 McGill Law Journal 253 (http://lawjournal.mcgill.ca/userfiles/other/12958-Sirota.pdf)
- Léonid Sirota “True Allegiance: The Citizenship Oath and the Charter” (2014) 33 National Journal of Constitutional Law 137 (https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers2.cfm?abstract_id=2433711)
- Fabien Gélinas & Léonid Sirota, “Constitutional Conventions and Senate Reform” (2013) 5 Revue québécoise de droit constitutionnel 107 (http://aqdc.quebec/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/FGelinasLSirota.pdf)
- Léonid Sirota, “Storm and Havoc: Religious Exemptions and the Rule of Law” (2013) 47 Revue juridique Thémis de l’Université de Montréal 247 (https://ssl.editionsthemis.com/uploaded/revue/article/31102_Sirota.pdf)
- Léonid Sirota “Rants and Freedoms: Can Universities Control Students’ Online Speech?” (2012) 13 Internet and E-Commerce Law in Canada 13
- Léonid Sirota “Towards a Jurisprudence of Constitutional Conventions” (2011) 11 Oxford University Commonwealth Law Journal 29
Last updated: 01-Feb-2018 7.18pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.