Senior Lecturer; Coordinator of English for Academic Study
Phone: 64 9 921 9999 ext 6092
Room WT1007, Level 10, AUT Tower, corner of Wakefield and Rutland Streets, Auckland Central
- MEd (Massey)
- BEd (Sydney University)
- BEd (NSW)
- BA (Otago).
Helen began her career at AUT University in 1997. Since that time she has taught on many of the language programmes within the school from early literacy through to advanced English classes.
She has expertise teaching on the Certificate in Language Teaching to Adults and on the Masters in Adult Literacy and Numeracy Education and is paper leader of Online Learning and Teaching.
- e-learning both in Online and blended modes
- Academic vocabulary acquisition
- Development of student listening and note taking skills.
- Cartner, H. (2009). E-learning and the academic word lists. TESOLANZ Newsletter 18(1), 14.
- Cartner, H., & Hallas, J. (2009). Exploring the R2D2 model for online learning activities to teach academic language skills. In R.J. Atkinson & C. McBeath (Eds.). Same places, different spaces. Proceedings ascilite Auckland 2009. 26th Annual ascilite International Conference, Auckland, 6-9 December 2009. (pp. 110-115). Auckland, New Zealand: The University of Auckland, Auckland University of Technology, and Australasian Society for Computers in Learning in Tertiary Education (ascilite).
- Turner, E., U, A., Cartner, H., Jenner, C., & Mann, E. (2009). IELTS and an English for academic study programme: Points of similarity and areas of divergence. In A. Brown (Ed.), Proceedings of CLESOL 2008 (pp. 205-217). Wellington, New Zealand: Paardekooper & Associates.
- Cartner, H. (2007) Finding the New in the Ordinary a paper presented at AMEP National Conference Sunshine Coast TAFE Queensland, Australia.
- Cartner, H. (2007) Interacting and Engaging with Technology a paper presented at International Adult Literacy Conference, 2007, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Cartner, H. (2007). Creating interactive PowerPoint resources for learners a paper presented at CALL Symposium — language, literacy and technology May 2007.
- Cartner, H. (2006). Origins and Connections: Blended Learning and the Academic Word Lists. A paper presented at CLESOL Conference, Napier, New Zealand.
- Cartner, H. (2006). Online Academic Word Lists and their impact on student learning.a paper presented at AMEP National Conference 2006 Central TAFE Perth, Australia.
- Cartner, H. (2005). Student attitudes towards computer assisted language learning. The TESOLANZ Journal, 12, 67-79.
- Cartner, H. (2005). English language students and computers. In J. Major & J. Howard (Eds.), CLESOL 2004: Language Community, Diversity: Hearing Every Voice, Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference for CommunityLanguages and English for speakers of other languages (CD Rom).
- Cartner, H. (2004). Are our English language students interested in CALL? Paper presented at Ninth National Conference for Community Languages and ESOL, Christchurch, New Zealand.