Professor in Podiatry
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 7688
90 Akoranga Drive, Northcote 0627, Auckland
90 Akoranga Drive, AA Building, Northcote 0627, Auckland
PhD, MSc, BSc (Hons), FPodM, SRCh
Memberships and Affiliations:
Society of Chiropodists and Podiatrists UK
Dr Keith Rome is currently a Professor of Podiatry at AUT, New Zealand. With over 25 years of experience within education, his research focus is on long term chronic foot conditions, specifically in inflammatory arthritis. He collaborates with rheumatologists in New Zealand, USA, Singapore and the UK. Since 2009, he has been the Co-Director of the Health & Rehabilitation Research Institute in the Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences. In 2008, Keith was awarded a fellowship from the Society of Podiatrists for his contribution to podiatric research. Keith has published over 100 peer-reviewed journal articles. Keith is currently supervising six PhD students in a range of projects relating to the foot and inflammatory arthritis. He has recently published a textbook ‘Management of chronic conditions in the foot and lower leg.” Keith is on the editorial board for Arthritis Care & Research, BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders and the Journal of Foot and Ankle Research.
Clinical Gait Analysis and Rheumatology
Long term chronic foot conditions including rheumatic diseases and diabetes.
Dr Keith Rome is a Professor of Podiatry at AUT University, New Zealand. With over 30 years of experience within the health care profession, his research focuses on long term chronic foot conditions. His research expertise is in translational research associated in musculoskeletal and rheumatological conditions and also in intervention trials associated with footwear in rheumatology and older adults.
Since 2009 he has been the Co-Director of the Health & Rehabilitation Research Institute in the Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences and is currently acting-Director. In 2008 Keith was awarded a fellowship from the Society of Podiatrists for his podiatric research.
Keith has published over 80 peer-reviewed journal articles. He has been published in a number of prestigious journals in the fields of rheumatology, biomechanics and rehabilitation, including Rheumatology, Arthritis Care & Research, Clinical Biomechanics and Clinical Rehabilitation.
Since commencing his academic career in 1988, he has secured over $2.5 million in competitive research grants and scholarship funding, and has developed considerable experience in research student supervision across a range of professional disciplines, including podiatry, orthopaedics, sports science and physiotherapy. To date, he has supervised over 70 Honours students, 25 Masters, 4 MPhil and 5 PhD students to completion. He has examined over 15 MPhil, PHDs in the UK, Australia and New Zealand.
Keith has a strong national and growing international research reputation in the area of foot-related long term chronic conditions with collaborative links in Australia, the United Kingdom and America. He is also on the editorial board of the Journal of Foot and Ankle Research, Journal of Pain and Clinical Management and BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders.
Current Research Projects:
Arthritis NZ (Rome K, Dalbeth N, Vandal A). The first metatarsophalangeal joint in gout and asymptomatic hyperuricaemia.
AUT University VC 3-year PhD Scholarship (Rome K, Dalbeth N, Vandal A). The first metatarsophalangeal joint in gout and asymptomatic hyperuricaemia.
Internal Funding: inter-faculty collaboration with Textile & Design relating to design a sock for people with inflammatory arthritis.
Internal Funding: evaluation of pain pathways in people with chronic gout.
Auckland Medical Research Foundation: (Rome K, Dalbeth N, McNair P, Vandal A). The clinical effectiveness of footwear to reduce musculoskeletal pain and disability in chronic gout.
Multiple Sclerosis Australia: (Hatton AL, Brauer, S, Kerr G, Rome K, Dixon J, Williams). Improving gait by way of plantar tactile stimulation: a randomized controlled trial of the effects of prolonged wear of textured shoe insoles in people with Multiple Sclerosis.
Arthritis NZ: (Rome K, Carroll M, Dalbeth N, Boocock M). 3D gait analysis and ultrasound measurements of Achilles tendon in people with chronic gout.
Arthritis NZ: (Rome K, Brenton-Rule A, Carroll M, Dalbeth N, Bassett S, Corkhill M). Evaluation of different footwear commonly worn by patients with established RA.
Multiple Sclerosis Society UK: (Dixon J, Hatton A, McKeon P, Rome K, Martin D). The long-term effects of textured shoe insoles on balance, walking ability and function in people with MS.
Arthritis NZ and Faculty Summer Studentships (Rome K, Dalbeth N, Stewart S, Mawston G, Otter S, Carroll M): walking patterns and muscle strength in people with chronic tophaceous gout.
Arthritis NZ (Wright-St-Clair V, Rome K, Bassett S, Larmer P, O’Brien D, Harman B): Exploring participant and educator experiences of the Arthritis New Zealand Self-management programme
1. Rome K, Gray J, McKeekin P, Plant M, Clarke H, Dixon J. The clinical and cost-effectiveness of foot orthoses in people with established rheumatoid arthritis: an exploratory clinical trial. Scand J Rheumatol (accepted).
2. Stewart S, Dalbeth N, Vandal AC, Rome K. Spatiotemporal gait parameters and plantar pressure distribution during barefoot walking in people with gout and asymptomatic hyperuricemia: comparison with healthy individuals with normal serum urate concentrations. J Foot Ankle Res 2016; 9: 15.
3. Hawke F, Rome K. Evans AE. The relationship between foot posture, body mass, age and ankle, lower-limb and whole-body flexibility in healthy children aged 7 to 15 years. J Foot Ankle Res 2016; 9; 14.
4. Hatton AL, Dixon J, Rome K, Brauer S, Williams K, Kerr G. The effects of prolonged wear of textured shoe insoles on gait, foot sensation and proprioception in people with multiple sclerosis: study protocol for a randomised controlled trial. Trials 2016; 17:208.
5. Ashford RA, Mathieson I, Rome K. Conservative interventions for mobile pes planus in adults: a systematic review. Revista Internacional de Ciencias Podológicas 2016; 10: 42-61.
6. Poratt D, Rome K. A systematic review of the operative management of gout in the foot and ankle. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2016; 106: 182-188.
7. Stewart S, Dalbeth N, Rome K. The impact of gout on the foot: a review. Gout and Hyperuricaemia 2016; 3:1-8.
8. Otter S, Kumar S, Gow PJ, Dalbeth N, Corkhill M, Rohan M, Davies KA, Pankathelem S, Rome K. Patterns of foot disease in systemic lupus erythematosus: a cross sectional survey. J Foot Ankle Res 2016; 9: 10.
9. Stewart S, Dalbeth N, Vandal AV, Rome K. The first metatarsophalangeal joint in gout: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskel Dis 2016; 17: 69.
10. Brenton-Rule A, Dalbeth N, Menz HB, Bassett S, Rome K. Foot and ankle characteristics associated with falls in adults with rheumatoid arthritis. BMC Musculoskel Dis 2016; 17:22.
11. Morpeth T, Brenton-Rule A, Carroll M, Frecklington M, Rome K. Fear of falling and foot pain, impairment and disability in rheumatoid arthritis: a case-control study. Clin Rheumatol 2016; 35: 887-891.
12. Stewart S, Mawston G, Davidtz L, Dalbeth N, Vandal A, Carroll M, Morpeth T, Otter S, Rome K. Foot and ankle muscle strength in people with gout: a two-arm cross-sectional study. Clin Biomech 2016; 32: 207-11.
13. Stewart S, Mawston G, Davidtz L, Dalbeth N, Vandal A, Carroll M, Morpeth T, Otter S, Rome K. Foot-related pain and disability and spatiotemporal parameters of gait during self-selected and fast walking speeds in people with gout: a two-arm cross sectional study. Gait Posture 2016; 44: 18-22.
14. Stewart S, Dalbeth N, Vandal AC, Rome K. Characteristics of the first metatarsophalangeal joint in gout and asymptomatic hyperuricaemia: a cross-sectional study. J Foot Ankle Res 2015; 8: 41.
15. Roddy E, Muller S, Rome K, Chandrate P, Hider SL, Richardson J, Blagojevic-Bucknall M, Mallen C. Foot problems in people with gout in primary care: baseline findings from a prospective cohort study. J Foot Ankle Res 2015; 8: 31.
16. Ashock A, Stewart S, Rome K. The effect of age on characteristics of the abductor hallucis muscle in people with hallux valgus: a cross-sectional observational study. J Foot Ankle Res 2015; 8: 19.
17. Carroll M, Parmar P, Dalbeth N. Boocock M, Rome K. Gait characteristics associated with the foot and ankle in inflammatory arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders 2015; 16:134.
18. Carroll M, Parmar P, Dalbeth N. Boocock M, Rome K. The assessment of inflammatory and structural lesions of the Achilles tendon by ultrasound imaging in inflammatory arthritis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Seminars Arthritis Rheum 2015; 45:103-14.
19. Lansdowne N, Brenton-Rule A, Carroll M, Rome K. Perceived barriers of New Zealand podiatrists in the management of arthritis. J Foot Ankle Res 2015; 8: 14.
20. Otter S, Rome K, Ihaka I, South A, Smith M, Gupta A, Joseph F, Heslop P. Protective socks for people with diabetes: a systematic review and narrative analysis. J Foot Ankle Res 2015; 8:9.
21. Hendry GH, Brenton-Rule A, Barr G, Rome K. Footwear experiences of people with inflammatory arthritis. Arthritis Care Res 2015; 67: 1164–1172.
22. Brenton-Rule A, Dalbeth N, Menz HB, Bassett S, Rome K. The incidence and risk factors for falls in adults with rheumatoid arthritis: A systematic review. Semin Arthritis Rheum 2015; 44: 389-98.
23. Stewart S, Vandal AV, Gow P, McNair PJ, Dalbeth N, Rome K. The effect of good and poor walking shoe characteristics on plantar pressure and gait in people with gout. Clin Biomech 2014; 29: 1158-63.
24. Baron Y, J Robinson, H Gamesby-Iyayi, D Hodgson, A Hatton, R Warnett, K Rome, J Dixon, D Martin. Perceptions of people with multiple sclerosis on the effect and comfort of two different textured insoles: A qualitative study. Int J Ther Rehab 2014; 21: S2-S2.
25. Brenton-Rule A, Hendry G, Barr G, Rome K. An evaluation of seasonal variations in footwear worn by adults with inflammatory arthritis: a cross-sectional observational study using a web-based survey. J Foot Ankle Res 2014; 7; 36.
26. Chaplais E, Greene D, Hood A, Telfer S, du Toit V, Singh-Grewal D, Burns J, Rome K, Schiferl DJ, Hendry GJ. Reproducibility of a peripheral quantitative computed tomography scan protocol to measure the material properties of the second metatarsal. BMC Musculoskeletal Disorders BMC Musculoskelet Disord 2014; 15:242.
27. Dixon J, Hatton AL, Robinson J, Gamesby-Iyayi H, Hodgson D, Rome K, Warnett R, Martin DJ. Effect of textured insoles on balance and gait in people with multiple sclerosis: an exploratory trial. Physiotherapy 2014; 100: 142-149.
28. Rome K, Erikson K, Otene C, Sahid H, Sangster K, Gow P. Clinical characteristics of foot ulceration in people with chronic gout. Int Wound J 2016; 13:209-15.
29. Taylor WJ, Redden D, Dalbeth N, Schumacher HR, Edwards NL, Simon LS, John MR, Essex MN, Watson DJ, Evans R, Rome K, Singh JA. Application of the OMERACT filter to measures of core outcome domains in recent clinical studies of acute gout. J Rheumatol 2014; 41: 574-80.
30. Brenton-Rule A, D’Almeida S, Bassett S, Carroll M, Dalbeth N, Rome K. The effects of sandals on postural stability in patients with rheumatoid arthritis: an exploratory study. Clin Biomech 2014; 29: 350-3.
31. Hatton AL, Rome K, Dixon J, Martin DJ, McKeon PO. Footwear Interventions: A review of their sensorimotor and mechanical effects on balance performance and gait in older adults. J Am Podiatr Med Assoc 2013; 103: 516-533.
32. Chatterton B, Muller S, Thomas MJ, Menz HB, Rome K, Roddy E. Inter and intra-rater repeatability of the scoring of foot pain drawing. J Foot Ankle Res 2013; 6: 44.
33. Rome K, Stewart S, Vandal AV, Gow P, McNair PJ, Dalbeth N. The effects of commercially available footwear on foot pain and disability in people with gout: a pilot study. BMC Musculoskel Disorders 2013; 14: 278.
34. Hendry GJ, Gibson KA, Pile K, Taylor L, Du Toit V, Burns J, Rome K. Provision of foot health services for people with rheumatoid arthritis in New South Wales: a web-based survey of local podiatrists. J Foot Ankle Res 2013, 6:35.
35. Hendry GJ, Gibson KA, Pile K, Taylor L, Du Toit V, Burns J, Rome K. They just scraped off the calluses": a mixed methods exploration of foot care access and provision for people with rheumatoid arthritis in south-western Sydney, Australia. J Foot Ankle Res 2013; 6: 34.
Research Excellence Award in 2012