Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext7712
Room AB115, AUT North Shore Campus, 90 Akoranga Drive, Northcote 0627, Auckland, New Zealand
School of Rehabilitation & Occupation Studies
Faculty of Health and Environmental Sciences
AUT University, Private Bag 92006, Auckland 1142, New Zealand
Address for blogs:
Facebook Living Well Health Disability page
Links to relevant web pages:
Person Centred Research Centre
I am interested in projects that investigate the impact of disease and impairment for people and their family and improving the effectiveness of rehabilitation processes.
I have worked as a research assistant on a number of projects including; the Evaluation of Vocational Rehabilitation under the Injury Prevention Rehabilitation and Compensation (IRPC) Act 2001 a project commissioned by the ACC as a step towards improving vocational rehabilitation by identifying the strengths and weakness of current approaches in relation to the goals and intend of the IRPC Act 2001, and assisted with team projects including investigating barriers and facilitators to activity for people with chronic neurological conditions specifically stoke and multiple sclerosis, a pilot project testing a proposed measure of quality of life for people with disability (the QOLIBRI), a National Health Committee funded projected that investigated the interface between informal and formal caring services. I led a study investigating barriers to return to work following stroke, as well as a co investigator on a project the explored a therapeutic exercise programme for women diagnosed with breast cancer. Currently I am involved in projects investigating outcomes and interventions for people following traumatic brain injury (TBI) .
Current Research Projects:
- New Zealand Quality of Life after traumatic brain injury (QOLIBRI) validation project. Kath Mc Pherson, Graeme Hawthorne, Rob Kydd, Christine Cummins
- Goals and self regulation skills in brain injury rehabilitation: An RCT
Kath McPherson, William Taylor, Philip Schluter, Nicola Kayes, William Levack, Suzanne Barker-Collo, Matire Harwood, Harry McNaughton, Valery Feigin, Mark Ylvisaker, Richard Siegert
Funded by Health Research Council
- Cummins, C., Taylor, D. Smith, G., McPherson, K. (2011) Perceived benefits of a therapeutic exercise programme for women diagnosed with breast cancer (poster presentation) 2011 New Zealand Rehabilitation Association Biennial Conference Auckland NZ
- Cummins, C., McPherson, K., Hawthorne, G. (2011) Face Validity of the QOLIBRI (Quality of Life after Traumatic Brain Injury). (Poster presentation)2011 New Zealand Rehabilitation Association Biennial Conference. Auckland NZ
- Cummins, C., Blijlevens, H., McPherson, K.M (2009)The stroke survivor’s perspective of the barriers and facilitators to returning to work: A qualitative study (conference presentation) National Institute of Rehabilitation Research and New Zealand Rehabilitation Association Conference, Queenstown, NZ
- Cummins, C., K. McPherson, et al. (2007). Claimant expectations and perceptions of their rights and responsibilities in relation to vocational rehabilitation (poster presentation). National Institute of Rehabilitation Research and New Zealand Rehabilitation Association Conference, Rotorua, NZ, Disability and Rehabilitation.
- Jülich, S., Buttle, J., Cummins, C. and Freeborn, E. (2010) Project Restore: An Exploratory Study of Restorative Justice and Sexual Violence (Report Commissioned by the Minister of Justice) AUT University.
- Moloczij, N., Kayes, N., Cummins, C and McPherson, K.M on behalf of all members of the AUT Caring Interface Research Group. (2009) The interface between Informal Caring and Formal Services in New Zealand. (Research Commissioned by the National Health Committee). Auckland AUT University.
Vice Chancellor’s Research Team Excellence Award (member of PCR Team) 2007