Dr Grant Gillon
Senior Lecturer Paramedicine & Emergency Management
Phone: 921 7619
Grad DipArts (Distinction), MPP (1st Cl Honours), PhD
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Institution Fire Engineers
- Kaipatiki Local Board
- Devonport / Takapuna Local Board
I am a senior lecturer, paramedicine and emergency management at Aut University building on my career in the NZ Fire Service.
My PhD research was the first to study the relationships between politicians in the MMP era and the resulting effect on public policy development and changes in New Zealand. This work enables policy change forecasting rather than backward assessment of causation influences. The research followed a time in parliamentary politics having served in Parliament between 1996 and 2002.
During this period my involvement included civil defence & emergency management as well as fire service policy areas.
My current research focuses on the public policy aspects of emergency management.
Emergency ManagementPublic Policy
Current Research Projects:
- Responders during recent NZ events
- Comparative study NZ, Japan and Haiti
- History of Emergency Management in Auckland - a Public Policy Study
- The role of evaluation in NZ Emergency Management
- Role of an MP
- Pre-electoral agreements
- Doctoral Thesis. Formation, Durability and Susceptibility: Coalition Traits that Affected New Zealand's MMP Governments of 1996-2002. Massey University, 2008
- Role of an MP, In New Zealand Government and Politics (4th edition). Editors: Miller R. 174-185. Oxford University Press, Melbourne 2006
- Progressive - Working for a centre-left government, In The Baubles of Office: The New Zealand General Election of 2005 (1st edition). Editors: Levine S, Roberts N. 147-155. Victoria University Press, Wellington 2007
- Machinations and maneuverings: Pre-Election utterances in the New Zealand MMP Elections, Australasian Political Studies Association Conference, University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia, 25 Sep 2006 - 27 Sep 2006. Proceedings Editors: Tate J, Jose J, Goldsmith B. Proceedings of the Australasian Political Studies Association Annual Conference. University of Newcastle, Newcastle, Australia. 2006,
- Where There's Smoke Howling at the Moon Publishing, 1998
- United to Protect: An Historical Account of the Auckland Fire Brigade, 1848-1985, Orion Press, 1987