Professor Adnan Al-Anbuky
Professor of Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Director of the Sensor Network and Smart Environment (SeNSe) research laboratory
Phone: +64 9 921 9836
Office location: WU316
School of Engineering, Computer and Mathematical Sciences
Links to relevant web pages:
Centre for Sensor Network & Smart Environment (SeNSe)
Private Bag 92006
- BSc (University of Baghdad/ Iraq) 1969;
- MSc (University of Salford/UK) 1971,
- PhD (UMIST/ UK) 1975
Memberships and Affiliations:
- IEEE Member
- Member of NZ Plant Lab (2008- to date)
- Contribute to number of local and international workshops and conferences as a steering committee member, TPC member and or general chair.
- Member of APCC ASC group (2010 – to date)
- Member of AUT TechParc Advisory Board (Jan 2007- Dec 2012)
- Member of Hawker Energy R&D Directors (1999- 2002)
- Chair the “Scientific Wireless Sensor Network Testbeds: Federation & Impact on NGN” Business Forum, IEEE ICC 2011, Kyoto, JapanCo-Chair the “Human/Prosthetic Limb Interface”, IEEE ICARA 2011, Wellington, NZ
Adnan Al-Anbuky http://sense.aut.ac.nz/SeNSe_Lab/adnan.php
received his BSc, MSc and PhD degrees from the University of Baghdad/1969, University of Salford/1971 and UMIST/ 1975 respectively. During 1975 to 1995 he assumed number of academic positions in both Baghdad University of Technology and Yarmouk University of Jordan, including being the Dean of Hajjawi College of engineering at the University of Yarmouk. Professor Al-Anbuky joined Swichtec/ New Zealand on 1996 and started establishing an industrial research unit driving toward increasing the level of automation within the telecommunication power systems service industry.
Late 2005 he joined AUT as a professor and head of electrical and electronics engineering department. The establishment of the SeNSe research centre in mid-2006 has led to a number of projects that benefited both the local and international communities. Recently, the involvement in projects like public space ambient intelligence PSAmI and traceability of food condition during logistics have encouraged the contribution towards the concept of the smart cities. They both involve federated sensor networks, Internet of things IoT and big data management.
Adnan is a member of the editorial board for number of international journals and scientific groups. He is actively contributing to the organization or operation of numerous local and international events and conferences. He has more than 100 conference and journal peer reviewed publications including 10 granted patents. He has delivered good number of keynote and invited talks locally and internationally.
- Wireless Sensor Network 739001
- Intelligent Systems 738019 and 739000
- Engineering Research Methodology 709011
The current research focus is on IoT based wireless sensor network with an emphasis on network virtualization, management, and intelligent control. Near-optimum or optimum sensor network performance in capturing the dynamic events of a physical phenomenon is the ultimate objective here. Application areas within smart cities like public space intelligence, mobile objects coordination, and prolonging elderlies stay at home are some of the domain applications that he is currently attending. Some of the related scientific areas of interest are:
- IoT based wireless sensor network functions virtualization WSNFV
- Cloud-based wireless sensor network intelligence
- IoT-Based Wireless sensor network dynamic orchestration
- Wireless sensor network softwaization WSNS
Major Publications (in the last five years).
- M Villari, A Al-Anbuky, A Celesti, and K Moessner "Leveraging the Internet of Things: Integration of Sensors and Cloud Computing Systems" Editorial, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks July 2016 12:9764287, first published on July 22, 2016 doi:10.1177/155014779764287.
- S Memon, N Sarkar & A Al-Anbuky “Multiple preemptive EDCA for emergency medium access control in distributed WLANs” Wireless Networks, Vol. 22 (2016), No 2, Feb 2016, ISSN 1022-0038, DOI 10.1007/s11276-016-1236-9.
- Ming Xiang, William Liu, Quan Bai, and Adnan Al-Anbuky, “Avoiding the Opportunist: The Role of Simmelian Ties in Fostering the Trust in Sensor-Cloud Networks”, International Journal of Distributed Sensor Networks, Volume 2015 (2015), Article ID 873941, 11 pages; http://www.hindawi.com/journals/ijdsn/2015/873941/
- S. Sivakumar and A. Al-Anbuky,"Dense Clustered Multi-Channel Wireless Sensor Cloud",J. Sens. Actuator Netw. 2015, 4, 208-225; ISSN 2224-2708; doi:10.3390/jsan4030208, http://www.mdpi.com/2224-2708/4/3/208/pdf
- Merlino, G.; Bruneo, D.; Distefano, S.; Longo, F.; Puliafito, A.; A. Al-Anbuky, "A Smart City Lighting Case Study on an OpenStack-Powered Infrastructure", Sensors 2015, 15, 16314-16335; doi:10.3390/s150716314, http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/15/7/16314/pdf
- S Ezdiani, A Al-Anbuky "Modelling the Integrated QoS for Wireless Sensor Networks with Heterogeneous Data Traffic" Open Journal of Internet Of Things (OJIOT), 1(1), Pages 1-15, 2015. http://www.ronpub.com/publications/OJIOT_2015v1i1n02_Syarifah.pdf
- Y. Liu, B-C Seet and A. Al-Anbuky, "Ambient Intelligence Context-Based Cross-Layer Design in Wireless Sensor Networks", Sensors 2014, 14, 19057-19085; doi:10.3390/s141019057, http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/14/10/19057/pdf
M. L. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky and W. Liu, "An Authenticated Scheme for Wireless Sensor Network",J. Sens. Actuator Netw. 2014, 3(3), 181-206; doi:10.3390/jsan3030181, http://www.mdpi.com/2224-2708/3/3/181/
- H. Sabit, A. Al-Anbuky "Multivariate Spatial Condition Mapping using Subtractive Fuzzy Cluster Means"Sensors 2014, 14(10), 18960-18981; doi:10.3390/s141018960, http://www.mdpi.com/1424-8220/14/10/18960
- A. Al-Anbuky, "Federated Sensor Network Prospects and Challenges" J Telecommun Syst Manage 2013, 2:1, http://dx.doi.org/10.4172/2167-0919.1000e108, Editorial article
- M. I. Rawi, A. Al-Anbuky, "Wireless sensor networks and human comfort index" Personal and Ubiquitous Computing, June 2013, Volume 17, Issue 5, pp 999-1011
- Z. Rafique, BC Seet and A. Al-Anbuky, "Performance Analysis of Cooperative Virtual MIMO Systems for Wireless Sensor Networks" Sensors 2013, 13, 7033-7052; doi:10.3390/s130607033
- Y. Liu, BC Seet and A. Al-Anbuky, "An Ontology-Based Context Model for Wireless Sensor Network (WSN) Management in the Internet of Things" J. Sens. Actuator Netw. 2013, 2, 653-674; doi:10.3390/jsan2040653
- M. Bogosanovic, A. Al-Anbuky, G. Emms "Microwave measurement of wood anisotropy with application to grain direction measurement" IEEE Transaction Instrumentation & Measurement, IEEE Sensors Journal, Vol. 13, Issue 1, January 2013, pp 306-13, Digital Object Identifier 10.1109/JSEN.2012.2211192
- H. Sabit, A. Al-Anbuky, & H. G. Hossieni "Data stream Mining for Wireless Sensor Networks Environment: Energy Efficient Fuzzy Clustering Algorithm" International Journal of Autonomous and Adaptive Communications Systems, Sept 2011, Vol.4, Iss 4, PP 383-397.
- A Memon, W Lui, A Al-Anbuky, "CatchMe If You Can: Enable Sustainable Communications Using Internet of Movable Things", Proceedings of 2nd Intl Conf on Big Data Intelligence, August 8-10, 2016, Stamford Hotel, Auckland, New Zealand.
- I Acharyya and A Al-Anbuky “Towards Wireless Sensor Network Softwarization” IEEE NetSoft 2016, 6-10 June 2016, Seoul, Korea
- B Luo, W Liu and A Al-Anbuky, "SustainMe If You Can: Sustainable Transmission Networking Design for Big Data" Workshop on Big Data Sciences, Technologies, and Applications (BDSTA 2016), IEEE INFOCOM 2016 - IEEE Conference on Computer Communications, 10-15 Apr 2016, Hyatt Regency San Francisco, USA
- Syarifah Ezdiani, Indrajit S Acharyya, Sivaramakrishnan Sivakumar and Adnan Al-Anbuky, “An IoT Environment for WSN Adaptive QoS”, 8th IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2015), Sydney, Australia Dec. 11-13, 2015 - http://www.swinflow.org/confs/ithings2015/
- Craig G Walker, Sivaramakrishnan Sivakumar, Adnan Al-Anbuky, “Data Flow and Management for an IoT Based WSN” 8th IEEE International Conference on Internet of Things (iThings 2015), Sydney, Australia Dec. 11-13, 2015 - http://www.swinflow.org/confs/ithings2015/
- Syed Fakhar Abbas, William Liu, Quan Bai and Adnan Al-Anbuky “Whom You Know Matters: Relook Vehicle-to-Vehicle Communications from A Topological Perspective” The 4th International Conference on Computational Social Networks (CSoNet 2015), August 4-6th 2015 - Beijing, China
- C Walker ; A Al-Anbuky; Q Bai ; “OTAP Arbitration Effects in Randomly Deployed WSN's” ITNAC 2015, 18-20 November 2015, UNSW, Sydney, Australia.
M Xiang; W Liu; Q Bai ; A Al-Anbuky ; “The double-edged sword: revealing the critical role of structural hole in forming trust for Securing Wireless Sensor Networks” ITNAC 2015, 18-20 November 2015, UNSW, Sydney, Australia.
- S Ezdiani, I S Acharyya, S Sivakumar and A Al-Anbuky “An Architectural Concept for Sensor Cloud QoSaaS Testbed” RealWSN 2015 workshop, November 1st 2015, Seoul, South Korea
- M Xiang, W Liu, Q Bai and A Al-Anbuky “Simmelian Ties and Structural Holes: Exploring Their Topological Roles in Forming Trust for Securing Wireless Sensor Networks” IEEE Trust Computing 2015, 20-22 August, 2015, Helsinki, Finland.
- A. Al-Anbuky, S Rudolph, J Haehner, S Tomforde "Public Space Ambient Intelligence: Benefits, Approaches and Challenges", 3rd International Workshop on “Self-optimisation in Organic and Autonomic Computing Systems“ (SAOS15), 24 March 2015, Porto, Portugal.
- A. Al-Anbuky, "Sensor-Actuator Smart lighting System: System Organizational Concept and Challenges" ICT4S 2014, 24-27 August 2014, Stockholm, Sweden
- S. Altaf, A Al-Anbuky, H GholamHosseini "Fault Diagnosis in a Distributed Motor Network using Artificial Neural Network" 22nd International Symposium on Power Electronics, Electrical Drives, Automation and Motion SPEEDAM 2014, 18-20 June 2014, Ischia, Italy
- M.L. Yang, A Al Anbuky, and W Liu "Security of the Multiple-Key Blom's Key Agreement Scheme for Sensor Networks" IFIP International Information Security and Privacy Conference IFIP SEC 2014, 2-4 June 2014. Marrakech, Morocco
- M.L. Yang, A Al-Anbuky, W Liu, "An Identity-based Authentication Protocol for Sensor Networks", 2014 IEEE Ninth International Conference on Intelligent Sensors, Sensor Networks and Information Processing ISSNIP, Singapore, 21- 24 April 2014
- S. Ezdiani and A. Al-Anbuky "Integrating WSN with the Internet: QoS Analysis and Modeling for Heterogeneous Data Traffic" Wireless Telecommunication Symposium WTS 2014, 9-11 April 2014, Waterview Conference Centre, Washington DC
- S. Altaf, A Al-Anbuky and H GholamHosseini, "Fault Signal Propagation in a Network of Distributed Motors" 2014 IEEE 8th International Power Engineering and Optimization Techniques PEOCO2014, Langkawi, Malaysia, 24-25 March 2014
- C. G. Walker and A. Al-Anbuky "Hunter Friendly Fire Avoidance: Modeling a wireless solution" ATNAC 2013, 20-22 November 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand
- B. Luo, W Liu and A. Al-Anbuky, "Energy Aware Survivable Routing Approaches for Next Generation Networks" ATNAC 2013, 20-22 November 2013, Christchurch, New Zealand
- M. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky, & W.Liu "The Multiple-Key Blom’s Scheme for Key Establishment in Mobile Ad Hoc Sensor Networks" APCC 2013, 29-31 Aug 2013, Bali, Indonesia
- Y Liu, B-C Seet and A Al-Anbuky, "In-Network Storage for Virtual Broker-based Publish/Subscribe in WSNs", PMIRC 2012, 9-12 Sept 2012, Sydney, Australia
- S. Sivakumar and A Al-Anbuky, "Vehicular Networks Smart Connectivity" ICWMC 2012, June 24-29, 2012 - Venice, Italy
- M. L. Yang, A. Al-Anbuky, and W. Liu “A Fast and Efficient Key Agreement Scheme for Wireless Sensor Networks” ICWMC 2012, June 24-29, 2012-Venice,It
- S Ezdiani and A. Al-Anbuky “Quality of Service Modelling for Federated Wireless Sensor Network Testbeds Gateways” CTRQ2012, April29 -May4, 2012, France
- S. Sabit, A. Al-Anbuky & H.G.Hossieni, “Wireless Sensor Network assisted Wildfire Hazard Prediction System Modeling”, The 2nd International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies. ANT 2011, 19-21 Sept 2011, Niagara Falls, Canada.
- I. Rawi, & A. Al-Anbuky “Development of Intelligent Wireless Sensor Networks for Human Comfort Index Measurement” The 2nd International Conference on Ambient Systems, Networks and Technologies, ANT 2011, 19-21 Sept 2011, Niagara Falls, Canada
- N. Yamani, & A. Al-Anbuky, “neuro Wireless Sensor Network Architecture: Cool Stores Dynamic Thermal Mapping” 2011 IEEE Sensors Applications Symposium, Feb 22-24, 2011, San Antonio, Texas., USA.
- Ming Xiang, William Liu, Quan Bai, Adnan Al-Anbuky, "Dynamic Trust Elective Geo Routing to Secure Smart Grid Communication Networks," "Smart Grid as a Solution for Renewable and Efficient Energy" IGI Global, http://www.igi-global.com/book/smart-grid-solution-renewable-efficient/142123, 2016, DOI: 10.4018/978-1-5225-0072-8
- B Luo, W Liu, A Al-Anbuky, “Energy-Aware Survivable Routing in Ever-Escalating Data Environments” Networking for Big Data, 2015 - books.google.com, http://www.crcnetbase.com/doi/abs/10.1201/b18772-12
- A. Al-Anbuky, S. Page, S. Krumdieck ,” Method of testing an electrochemical device”, US 8,125,193, 28th Feb 2012
- A. Al-Anbuky, & P. Hunter, “Battery Float Management”, US Patent 7,772,851 B2, Aug. 10, 2010, 18 pages
- A. Al-Anbuky and P Pascoe, “Method Apparatus and Computer Program Products for Battery Monitoring Using Predetermined Battery Discharge Characteristics”, US Patent 7,402980 B2, July, 22, 2008
- A. Al-Anbuky and P. Pascoe, “Method Apparatus and Computer Program Products for Estimation of Battery Reserved Life Using Adaptively modified State of Health Indicator-Based Reserved Life Models ”, US Patent 7,199557 B2, April, 3, 2007.
Recent Invited Keynote Talks and Seminars Presentations
- Panellist of panel discussion on “How will Cyber-Physical Environment Evolves?” Cyber Science and Technology group of conferences, 8-10 August 2016, Auckland, New Zealand.
- Invited talk, 2015 IEEE ComSoc Distinguished Lecturer Talks, 25 August 2015 Auckland, NZ “Public Space Ambient Intelligence: Background & Challenges”,
Keynote talk at FedCSIS 2014, 7-9 Sept 2017, Warsaw/ Poland, “WSN in Smart Buildings and Human Comfort”
- Invited talk at UniSim, Singapore, Sponsored by IEEE Singapore Signal Processing Chapter, Singapore, 13th September 2013, "Smart Buildings and Human Comfort"
Invited talk at CCTA 2013, Beijing, China, 18-20 September 2013 "Prospects and Challenges of Federated Sensor Networks" http://www.iccta.cn/ch/first_menu.aspx?parent_id=20130416110115001
- Keynote talk at APCC 2013, Bali Indonesia, 29-31 August 2013, "Federated Scientific Sensor Network Testbeds Prospects and Challenges", http://apcc.pro/program/keynote-sessions/
- Panel Session at ICWMC 2012, Vence Italy, 24-29 June 2012, "The Next Hops Towards Everywhere, Anytime, http://www.iaria.org/conferences2012/ProgramICWMC12.html
- Keynote talk at CQRT 2012, Mt Blanc France, 29Apr-4May 2012 "Integrating the Physical World through the Cyber World: Federated Sensor Networks Prospects and Challenges" http://www.iaria.org/conferences2012/ProgramCTRQ12.html
- Organize a business forum at ICC2011Kyoto Japan, 5-9 June 2011, "Scientific Wireless Sensor Network Testbeds: Growth & Impact" http://www.ieee-icc.org/2011/business_forum.php
- Keynote talk IEEE NZ I&M workshop, AUT NZ, 10-11 March 2011, “Sensor Network Embedded Intelligence: Ubiquitous Real time Sensing, Monitoring & Management
Opening talk APCC and ATNAC 2010, Auckland NZ "http://apcc2010.aut.ac.nz/"
Recent Research Proposals Reviews and Theses Examination
- Review Graduate program for the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO), 2012
- Review research proposals for fund applications from local (MBIE) and international funding organizations such as the Korean Scientific funding authority (2012) and Austrian science funding authority (FWF) (2015)
- Involved in the review process as part of staff promotion for the Habilitation for Augsburg University
- Conduct Theses examination at PhD level for number of local and international Universities like University of Auckland, Massey University, Edith Cawon University (ECU), La Trobe University, University of Technology Sydney, Deakin University, and Waikato University.
- Regular reviewer for number of international journals and conferences including
- IEEE and ACM Transactions
Acquisition of Research Funds while at AUT
- Acquired Around $850,000 local and international fund over 2006-2012 for various research activities
- One of the three partners that recently won the $6.5 Million MBIE fund for the "Sensor Networks for Inventory Management of Fresh Food Exports" research project
- Acquired $140,000 as a local AUT fund for the establishment of AUT Sensor Network Testbed
Last updated: 29-Mar-2017 2.45pm
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.