Dr Murray Black
Associate Head of School/Programme Leader
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 extn 9852
AUT Tower, Level 1,
2 – 14 Wakefield St,
Memberships and Affiliations:
- NZAMT (NZ Association of Maths Teaching)
- NZSA (NZ Statistics Association)
- MERGA (Maths Education Research Group of Australia)
- NAOS (Network of Academics in Official Statistics)
Murray has a background in teaching and consulting in the mathematical sciences. In 1995 he became Head of the School of Mathematical Sciences. When Mathematical Sciences was merged with Computing to form a new School of computing and Mathematical Sciences, Murray became an Associate Head of School. Murray is also part of an education sub-committee of the New Zealand Stats Association, leader of a special interest group in statistics for the MERGA conferences and an advisor to the New Zealand Qualifications Authority on statistics achievement standards.
Murray’s research interest in using inquiry-based learning techniques in the teaching of statistics was part of his PhD study with Deakin University in Australia. Murray has also acted as an external examiner, moderator and as a presenter to several conferences and teacher in-service days on the teaching of statistics.
- Numeracy, statistics, mathematics
- Statistics education, consultant in statistics for a range of research projects
Current Research Projects:
- Inquiry-based teaching methods for teaching statistics