Associate Dean Undergraduate and Teaching & Learning Associate Professor of Human Resource Management
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 5035
- PhD (Management) (Massey)
- MSC (First Class Honours in Psychology) (Auckland)
- BSc (Auckland)
Dr Macky joined AUT at the beginning of 2007, after a 25-year career in both academic and consulting environments. Over the years, he has taught a wide variety of courses in the areas of Organisational Behaviour, Industrial / Organisational Psychology, Human Resource Management, the Sociology of Work, Organisation Development, and Quantitative Research Methods.
Prior to joining AUT, he was a Senior Lecturer in the Management & International Business Department on the Auckland campus of Massey University, where he was for 5 years. He has also held a variety of positions at Auckland University, where he was awarded a Distinguished Teaching Award in 1998. He has also held positions as a Manager with Cap Gemini Ernst & Young, was a Senior Consultant at KPMG, and has been the proprietor of his own consulting businesses.
- Employee responses to high-performance work systems
- Organisational restructuring and downsizing
- Generational differences at work
- Why employees do or don’t join unions
- The application of multivariate data analyses techniques to large data sets
Current Research Projects:
- Investigating employee affective responses to downsizing events, and the mediating impact of downsizing practices on these outcomes
- Looking at the relationship between managerial work practices included under the ‘high-performance’ banner and employee well-being
- A critical analysis of whether generational differences at work really exist or a managerial myth in the making.
Book and book chapters:
- Boxall, P. & Macky, K. (2010). High-performance work systems and employee well-being in New Zealand. In J. Bryson (Ed.). Beyond Skill: Institutions, Organisations and Human Capability. Palgrave Macmillan, pp. 127-153.
- Macky, K. (Ed.)(2008). Managing Human Resources: Contemporary Perspectives in New Zealand. Sydney: McGraw Hill.
- Boxall, P., Haynes, P. & Macky, K. (2007). Employee Voice and Voicelessness in New Zealand. In R. Freeman, P. Boxall & P. Haynes. (Eds.). What Workers Say: Employee Voice in the Anglo-American Workplace. Ithaca: Cornell University Press, pp 145-165.
- Macky, K. & Johnson, G. (2003). Managing Human Resources in New Zealand (second edition). Sydney: McGraw-Hill.
- Boxall, P. & Macky, K. (2009). Research and theory on high-performance work systems: progressing the high-involvement stream. Human Resource Management Journal, 19 (1), 3-23.
- Macky, K. & Boxall, P. (2009). Employee well-being and union membership. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 34 (3), 14-25.
- Inkson, K. & Macky, K. (2009). Work and well-being in New Zealand: Special Issue Editors Introduction. Kotuitui: New Zealand Journal of Social Sciences Online, 4 (1), 1-3.
- Macky, K. & Boxall, P. (2008). Employee experiences of high-performance work systems: An analysis of sectoral, occupational, organisational and employee variables. New Zealand Journal of Employment Relations, 33 (1), 1-18.
- Macky, K., Gardner, D., & Forsyth, S. (2008). Generational differences at work: introduction and overview.Journal of Managerial Psychology, 23 (8), 857-861.
- Macky, K. & Boxall, P. (2008). High-involvement work processes, work intensification and employee well-being: a study of New Zealand worker experiences. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 46 (1), 38-55.
- Boxall, P. & Macky, K. (2007). High-performance work systems and organisational performance: Bridging theory and practice. Asia Pacific Journal of Human Resources, 45 (3), 261-270.
- Macky, K. & Boxall, P. (2007). The relationship between high-performance work practices and employee attitudes: an investigation of additive and interaction effects. International Journal of Human Resource Management, 18 (4), 537-567.
- Haynes, P., Boxall, P. & Macky, K. (2006). Union reach, the ‘representation gap’ and the prospects for unionism in New Zealand. Journal of Industrial Relations, 48 (2), 193-216.
- Haynes, P., Boxall, P. & Macky, K. (2005). Non-union voice and the effectiveness of joint consultation in New Zealand. Economic & Industrial Democracy, 26 (2), 229-256.