Professor Ajit Narayanan
Professor and Head of Research
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 Extn 9345
School of Computing and Mathematical Sciences (D-75),
Auckland University of Technology,
AUT Tower, 2-14 Wakefield Street,
BSc (Hons), University of Aston in Birmingham, 1973.
PhD in Philosophy, University of Exeter, 1976.
Memberships and Affiliations:
- Member of Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers (IEEE)
- Member of Chair of Local (NZ) Chapter of Association for Computing Machinery (ACM)
- Artificial intelligence and nature-inspired computing
- Bioinformatics and quantum computing
- Network and system security
- Cognitive science
- Application of artificial intelligence and nature-inspired techniques in bioinformatics and systems biology
- Computational statistics, modelling and simulation
- Computational linguistics
- Quantum computing
- Outlier detection using humoral mediated clustering. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2012. International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 1, 21pp. DOI: 10.1142/S1469026812500034
- Humoral artificial immune system for supervised learning. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2012. International Journal of Computational Intelligence and Applications, Vol. 11, No. 1, 19pp. DOI: 10.1142/S1469026812500046
- Gene expression rule discovery and multi-objective ROC analysis using a neural-genetic hybrid. E.C. Keedwell and A. Narayanan. To appear in International Journal of Data Mining and Bioinformatics. 2012. http://www.inderscience.com/info/ingeneral/forthcoming.php?jcode=ijdmb.
- Society under threat... but not from AI. A. Narayanan, Artificial Intelligence & Society. 25th Anniversary Volume: A Faustian Exchange: What is to be human in the era of Ubiquitous Technology? Online publication February 2012. 8pp. DOI: 10.1007/s00146-012-0401-7.
- Measuring perfomance of hospital doctors through colleague and patient feedback. A. Narayanan, M. Greco, H. Powell and T. Bealing. Journal of Management & Marketing in Healthcare, Vol. 4, No. 3, 2011, 180-195.
- A multi-agent cellular automaton for grapevine growth and crop simulation. S. Shanmuganathan, A. Narayanan, and N. J Robinson. International Journal of Machine Learning and Computing (IJMLC), 2011, 1(3): 291-296. http://ijmlc.org/abstract/43-L032.htm.
- RFID enabled smartcards as a context-aware personal health node. D. T. Parry and A. Narayanan. Healthcare Informatics Review online, 14(3), 2010, 10-16. www.hinz.org.nz/uploads/file/Journal_Jun10/Parry_P10.pdf
- Micro-climate variations related to vineyard crop quality. P. Sallis, S. Shanmuganathan and A. Narayanan. (2010) Proceedings of WAC2010 (World Automation Congress) on Soft Computing for Industry ISSCI 2010, Kobe, Japan, September 19-22, 7pp. Also accepted for publication in AutoSoft: The Journal of Intelligent Automation and Soft Computing, IEEE Press.
- The molecular basis of the chemosensitivity of metastatic cutaneous melanoma to chemotherapy. Katharine A Parker, Sharon Glaysher, Marta Polak, Francis G Gabriel, Penny Johnson, Louise A Knight, Matthew Poole, Ajit Narayanan, Jeremy Hurren and Ian A Cree. Journal of Clinical Pathology. 2010, doi: 10.1136/jcp.2010.080119, 9pp. (IF 2.324)
- Validation of a multi-source feedback tool for use in General Practice. Campbell, Narayan, Greco et al. Education for Primary Care, 21(3), 2010, pp165-179
- Applications in unusual contexts in engineering mathematics: Students’ Attitudes. N Gruenwald, G. Sauerbier, A. Narayanan, S. Klymchuk and T. Zverkova. Mathematics Teaching-Research Journal Online, 4(1), 2010, pp. 52-67. http://sefi.htw-aalen.de/Seminars/Wismar2010/SEFI/papers_pdfs/MWG2010_Gruenwald_ua_C.pdf
- Doctors using patient feedback to establish professional learning goals: Results from a communication skill development program. L Baker, M. Greco and A. Narayanan. To appear in Biomedical Knowledge Management Structures and Processes for eHealth Systems, M Cooper (Ed.), IGI Global, 2009.
- Resistance gene expression determines the in vitro chemosensitivity of non-small cell lung cancer (NSCLC). Sharon Glaysher, Dennis Yiannakis, Francis G Gabriel, Penny Johnson, Marta E Polak, Louise A Knight, Zoe Goldthorpe, Katharine Peregrin, Mya Gyi, Paul Modi, Joe Rahamim, Mark E Smiths, Khalid Amer, Bruce Addis, Matthew Poole, Ajit Narayanan, Tim J Gulliford, Peter E Andreotti and Ian A Cree. BMC Cancer. 2009. 9:300 http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2407/9/300 (IF 3.08)
- Issues of reliability, generalisability and decidability for unbalance data. A. Narayanan, J.A Campbell and M.J. Greco (2009). Medical Education 44:367-378. (IF 2.6).
- Assessing the professional performance of UK doctors: an evaluation of the utility of the General Medical Council patient and colleague questionnaires. J.A. Campbell, M.J. Greco, J. Johnson, S. Richards, A. Dickens and A. Narayanan. Quality and Safety in Health Care, 2008, 17: 187-193.
- What distinguishes general practitioners from consultants, according to patients? A. Narayanan and M. Greco, Journal of Healthcare Management and Marketing, 2007, 1(1): 80-87.
- Discovering gene regulatory networks with a neural-genetic hybrid. E.C. Keedwell and A. Narayanan. IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 2005, Vol. 2, No. 3: 231-243. 2005.
- Single-layer neural networks for gene expression analysis. A. Narayanan, E. C. Keedwell, S. S. Tatineni and J. Gamalielsson. Neurocomputing, 61: 217 - 240, 2004.
- Searching for discriminatory rules in protease proteolytic cleavage activity using genetic programming with a min-max scoring function. Z. R. Yang, R. Thomson, T. C. Hodgman, J. Dry, A. K. Doyle, A. Narayanan and X. Wu. Biosystems 72, 2003, 159-176.
- Can animations be safely used in Court? A. Narayanan and S. Hibbin, Artificial Intelligence and Law, Volume 9, Number 4, 2002, pp 271-293.
- Mining viral protease data to extract cleavage knowledge. A. Narayanan, X. Wu and Z. R. Yang. Bioinformatics 18 (1): 5-13, 2002.
- Iconic SQL: Practical issues in the querying of databases through structured iconic expressions. A. Narayanan and T. Shaman. Journal of Visual Languages and Computing 13, 2002, 623-647.
- Regular Biosequence Pattern Matching with Cellular Automata. K. Laurio, F. Linåker and A. Narayanan. Information Sciences, 146(1-4), 2002, 89-101.
- Machine learning techniques for bioinformatics. A. Narayanan, E. Keedwell and B. Olsson. Applied Bioinformatics, 1(4), 2002, 191-222.
- Creating rules from trained neural networks using genetic algorithms. E. Keedwell, A. Narayanan and D. Savic, International Journal of Computers, Systems and Signals, Volume 1, 2001, pp 30-43.
- Quantum artificial neural network architectures and components. A. Narayanan and T. Menneer, Information Sciences, 128 (3-4), 2000, 231-255.
- On using animations in Court. A. Narayanan, G. Penny, S. Hibbin, S. Lochun and W. J. Milne. Information and Communications Technology Law, 8 (2), 1999, pp. 151-163.
- Revisable knowledge discovery in databases (RKDD), International Journal of Intelligent Systems, 11 (2), 75-96, 1996.
- Climate change and grape wine quality: a GIS approach to analysing New Zealand wine region. Shanmuganathan S, Narayanan A and Sallis P. Book Chapter, Climate Change / Book 1, edited by Prof. Netra Chhetri, Arizona State University, USA. 2012. ISBN 980-953-307-389-2 (in press).
- On synaptic plasticity: Modelling molecular kinases involved in transmitter release. D. Lundh and A. Narayanan, Artificial Neural Networks in Medicine and Biology, H. Malmgren, M. Borga and L. Niklasson (Eds.), Springer Verlag, 2000, pp 277-282.
- Biomolecular cognitive science, in Two Sciences of Mind: Readings in Cognitive Science and Consciousness, S. O Nuallain, P. Mc Kevitt and E. Mac Aogain (Eds.), John Benjamins Publishing, 1997, pp. 21-36.
- ‘Quantum-inspired computing’ and ‘Connectionism’, in Oxford Dictionary of Computing (3rd Edition), I. Pyle (Ed.), Oxford University Press, 1996.
- On changing one's mind: A connectionist account, A. Narayanan and M. Boden, Forms of Representation, D. Peterson (Ed.), Intellect, 1996, pp 101-117.
- The intentional stance and the imitation game, in The Legacy of Alan Turing (Volume 1): Machines and Thought, P. Millican and A. Clarke (eds.), Oxford University Press, 1996, pp 63-80. (Refereed paper delivered at the Turing-90 Colloquium to honour the 40th anniversary of the appearance of Turing's paper, Sussex University, April 1990.)
- On nativist connectionism, in Connectionism in a Broad Perspective, L. Niklasson and M. Boden (eds.), Ellis Horwood, 1994, pp. 99-108.
- A connectionist model of nonmonotonic reasoning: Handling exceptions in inheritance hierarchies, M. Boden and A. Narayanan, in Connectionism in a Broad Perspective, L. Niklasson and M. Boden (eds.), Ellis Horwood, 1994, pp. 65-78.
- The Chinese Room Argument: An exercise in computational philosophy of mind, in I. Mahalingam and B. Carr (eds.), Logical Foundations (Festschrift in honour of D. J. O'Connor), Macmillan, 1991, pp. 106-118.
- Object-oriented expert diagnostic systems: design principles, A. Narayanan and Y. Jin, in T. R. Addis and R. M. Muir (eds.), Research and Development in Expert Systems VII, Cambridge University Press, 1990, pp. 306-317.
- Cognitive architecture and connectionism, in R. Forsyth (ed.), Machine Learning: Principles and Techniques, Chapman and Hall, 1989, pp. 219-237.
- Artificial Intelligence Terminology: A Reference Guide, C. Beardon (Ed.), Ellis Horwood, 1989. (Several entries.)
- Memory models of man and machine, in Artificial Intelligence: Principles and Applications, M. Yazdani (ed.), Chapman-Hall, 1986, pp. 226-258.
- Why AI cannot be wrong, in K. S. Gill (ed.), Artificial Intelligence for Society, Wiley, 1986, pp. 43-53. Proceedings of the Third Annual Conference on AI for Society, Brighton Polytechnic, 1985.
- What is it like to be a machine?, in S. Torrance (ed.) The Mind and the Machine, Ellis Horwood, 1984, pp. 79-87. Second Anglo-French Philosophy Colloquium, Middlesex Polytechnic, April 1983.
Refereed Conference Proceedings
- Modelling the climate change effects on Malaysia’s oil palm yield. Shanmuganathan, S., Narayanan, A. To appear in Proceedings of the IEEE Symposium on e-Learning, e-Management and e-Services (IS3e 2012), Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. October 2012.
- The Use of Cellular Automata for Modelling (SIR)N Diseases with Migratory Reinfection. Ofosuhene O. Apenteng, Ajit Narayanan and Sergiy Klymchuk. To appear in Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Computer and Computational Intelligence (ICCCI 2012), Bali, Indonesia. December 2012.
- The effects of different representations on malware motif identification. Ajit Narayanan, Yi Chen, Shaoning Pang and Ban Tao. To appear in Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Security(CIS'2012), Guangzhou, China, November, 2012.
- Multiple sequence alignment and artificial neural networks for malicious software detection. Chen, Y., Narayanan, A., Pang, S. and Tao, B. Proceedings of 8th IEEE Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC’12), Chonqing, China, May, 2012, pp. 261-265. DOI: 10.1109/ICNC.2012.6234576.
- Malicious software detection using multiple sequence alignment and data mining. Chen, Y., Narayanan, A., Pang, S. and Tao, B. 26th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Information Networking and Applications ( IEEE AINA 2012). Fukuoka, Japan, March 2012, pp 8-14. http://doi.ieeecomputersociety.org/10.1109/AINA.2012.62
- Organisational preparedness for hosted virtual desktops in the context of digital forensics. N. Jawale and A, Narayanan. 2011. Proceedings of the 9th Australian Digital Forensics Conference. 5-7 December 2011, Perth, Australia, pp 66-74. http://ro.ecu.edu.au/adf/97
- Real Time Replanning based on A* for Collision Avoidance in Multi-Robot Systems. F. Liu and A. Narayanan. Proceeding of URAI 2011 (8th International Conference on Ubiquitous Robots and Ambient Intelligence), Korea, November 2011, pp 473-479. DOI: 10.1109/URAI.2011.6145866.
- Modelling the seasonal climate variability and its effects on vintage wines from Marlborough, NZ. Shanmuganathan, S., Sallis, P., Narayanan, A. Proceedings of the 8th International Conference on Fuzzy Systems and Knowledge Discovery, Shanghai, China, 26-28 Jul 2011. Vol 4. Proceedings Editors: Ding Y, Li Y, Fan Z, Li S, Wang L. IEEE Conference Record Number for FSKD’11: 18083. ISBN 978-1-61284-178-6, IEEE catalog no. CFPIIFSK-PRT, pp 2128-2133.
- A cellular automaton framework for within-field vineyard variance and grape production simulation. S. Shanmuganathan, A. Narayanan and N. Robinson. The 7th International Conference on Natural Computation, Shanghai, China, 26 Jul 2011 - 28 Jul 2011. Vol 3 Proceedings Editors: Ding Y, Wang H, Xiong N, Hao K, Wang L. IEEE Conference Record Number for ICNC’11.ISBN 978-1-4244-9951-9, catalog no. CFP11CNC-PRT pp 1456-1461.
- Population-based artificial immune system clustering algorithm. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2011. In Pietro Liò, Giuseppe Nicosia, Thomas Stibor (Eds.): Artificial Immune Systems, 10th International Conference, ICARIS 2011, Cambridge, UK, July 18-21, 2011. Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6825 Springer 2011, pp. 348-360.
- Principles and methods of artificial immune system vaccination of learning systems. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2011. In Pietro Liò, Giuseppe Nicosia, Thomas Stibor (Eds.): Artificial Immune Systems, 10th International Conference, ICARIS 2011, Cambridge, UK, July 18-21, 2011. Proceedings. Lecture Notes in Computer Science 6825 Springer 2011, pp. 268-281.
- Quantum jump clustering. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2011. Editors: Ding Y, Wang H, Xiong N, Hao K, Wang L. Proceedings of IEEE 7th International Conference on Natural Computation (ICNC 2011). 3: 1352-1357. Jul 2011.
- Mathematical modelling of infectious disease with biomathematics: Implications for teaching and research. Gruenwald, N., Sauerbier, G., Narayanan, A., Klymchuk, S. and Zverkova, T. In Kaiser, G. (Ed) Proceedings of the 14th International Conference on the Teaching of Mathematical Modelling and Applications (ICTMA-14), Hamburg, Germany, 2011. (In print)
- A multi-agent (MA) cellular automata (CA) framework for grapevine growth and crop simulation. Shanmuganathan, S., Narayanan, A., Robinson, N., IEEE Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Machine Learning and Computing (ICMLC 2011), Singapore, February 26-28, 2011. http://www.icmlc.org/ IEEE Catalog Number: CFP1127J-PRT ISBN: 978-1-4244-9252-7(in press). Also to appear in International Journal of Machine Learning and Computing.
- Data mining and χ2 test based hybrid approach to modelling climate effects on grape crop in varieties of Kumeu, New Zealand. Shanmuganathan, S., Sallis, P., Narayanan, A. IEEE Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Machine Learning and Computing (ICMLC 2011), Singapore, February 26-28, 2011. http://www.icmlc.org/ IEEE Catalog Number: CFP1127J-PRT ISBN: 978-1-4244-9252-7 (in press)
- Gene expression rule discovery with a multi-objective neural-genetic hybrid. E.C. Keedwell and A. Narayanan. 2010. To appear in Proceedings of BIBM (IEEE International Conference on Bioinformatics and Biomedicine), Hong Kong, December 2010.
- Outlier detection using humoral-mediated clustering (HAIS). W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2010. To appear in Proceedings of NaBIC2010 (IEEE World Congress on Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing). Kitakyushu, December 2010.
- Humoral artificial immune system (HAIS) for supervised learning. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2010. To appear in Proceedings of NaBIC2010 (IEEE World Congress on Nature and Biologically Inspired Computing). Kitakyushu, December 2010.
- Feature weighting for efficient clustering. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. 2010. To appear in Proceedings of ICMIA2010 (IEEE 2nd International Conference on Data Mining and Intelligent Information Technology Applications). Seoul, November 2010.
- Humoral mediated clustering. W. Ahmad and A. Narayanan. Proceedings of the IEEE 5th International Conference on Bio-Inspired Computing: Theories and Applications (BIC-TA 2010), Liverpool, UK, September, 2010. 10pp.
- Data mining techniques for modelling seasonal climate effects on grapevine yield and wine quality. S. Shanmuganathan, P. Sallis and A. Narayanan, A. (2010). Proceedings of the IEEE Second International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks (CICSyN), Liverpool, UK, 28 – 30 July 2010, 6pp.
- Data mining techniques for modelling the influence of daily extreme weather conditions on grapevine, wine quality and perennial crop yield. S. Shanmuganathan, P. Sallis and A. Narayanan, A. (2010). Proceedings of the IEEE Second International Conference on Computational Intelligence, Communication Systems and Networks (CICSyN), Liverpool, UK, 28 – 30 July 2010, 6pp
- Modelling the seasonal climate effects on grapevine yield at different spatial and unconventional temporal scales. S. Shanmuganathan, P. Sallis and A. Narayanan. Proceedings of International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (iEMSs), David A. Swayne, Wanhong Yang, A. A. Voinov, A. Rizzoli, T. Filatova (Eds.), 5-8 July, Ottawa, Canada, 2010, 10pp.
- Modelling the effects of daily extreme weather on grapevine and wine quality. S. Shanmuganathan, P. Sallis and A. Narayanan (2010). Proceedings of International Congress on Environmental Modelling and Software (iEMSs), David A. Swayne, Wanhong Yang, A. A. Voinov, A. Rizzoli, T. Filatova (Eds.), 5-8 July, Ottawa, Canada, 2010, 9pp. Session 28. http://www.iemss.org/iemss2010/index.php, Session 28.
- Unsupervised Artificial Neural Nets for Modelling the Effects of Climate Change on New Zealand Grape Wines. S. Shanmuganathan, P. Sallis and A. Narayanan. Proceedings of 18th World IMACS/MODSIM Congress, 2009: 803-809.
- Statistical data analysis incorporating web text mining to establish correlations between grape wine taster comments and wine ratings. S. Shanmuganathan, P. Sallis and A. Narayanan. To appear in Proceedings of CITA09, 2009.
- Reverse engineering gene networks with artificial neural networks. A. Krishna, A. Narayanan and E. C. Keedwell. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Adaptive and Natural Computing Algorithms (ICANNGA05), Special Session on Bioinformatics, B. Ribeiro, R. Albrecht, A. Dobnikar, D. W. Pearson and N.C. Steele (Eds.). 325-328, Springer Computer Science, March 2005.
- Neural networks and temporal gene expression data. A. Krishna, A. Narayanan and E.C. Keeedwell. Applications of Evolutionary Computing (EvoBio05), Special Session on Bioinformatics, F. Lothlauf et al. (Eds), Springer Verlag LNCS 3449, 2005, 64-73.
- Analyzing gene expression data for childhood medulloblastoma survival with artificial neural networks. A. Narayanan, E. Nana and E.C. Keedwell, Proceedings of the 2004 IEEE Symposium on Computational Intelligence in Bioinformatics and Computational Biology, San Diego, October 2004, 9-16.
- Artificial intelligence and machine learning techniques for Bioinformatics: Tutorial. A. Narayanan, E. Keedwell and B. Olsson. ISMB 2003 Tutorial Notes, Tutorial presented at ISMB03, Brisbane, July 2003.
- Genetic algorithms for gene expression analysis. E. C. Keedwell and A. Narayanan. Applications of Evolutionary Computation: Proceedings of the 1st European Workshop on Evolutionary Bioinformatics, G. Raidl et al., Springer Verlag LNCS 2611, 2003, 76-86.
- All there is to the mind is to have the right genes, or, consciousness as a form of genetic engineering. Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science: Proceedings of the 13th Irish Conference AICS 2002, M. O'Neill, R. F. E. Sutcliffe, C. Ryan, M. Eaton and N. J. Griffiths (Eds), Springer Verlag Lecture Notes in Artificial Intelligence (LNAI 2464), 2002, pp 78-86.
- Recognising Prosite patterns with cellular automata. K. Laurio, F. Linaker and A. Narayanan, Proceedings of the Sixth Joint Conference on Information Sciences, Caulfield, Chen, Cheng, Duro, Honavar, Kerre, Lu, Romay, Shih, Ventura, Wang, Yang (eds.), 2002, 1174-1179.
- Modelling gene regulatory networks using artificial neural networks. E.C. Keedwell, A. Narayanan and D. Savic, Proceedings of the 2002 IEEE/INNS/ENNS International Joint Conference on Neural Networks (IJCNN'02), 2002, pp183-189.
- Cloning consciousness: The future for Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science? Towards a Science of Consciousness, Skovde, Sweden, 2001, Abstract 172.
- Quantum sorting and route finding. J. Wallace and A. Narayanan. Fifth International Conference on Computing Anticipatory Systems CASYS 2001, D. M. Dubois (Ed.), Liege, 2001, 2pp.
- From data mining to rule refining - A new tool for post data mining rule optimisation. E. Keedwell, F. Bessler, A. Narayanan and D. Savic. 12th IEEE International Conference on Tools with Artificial Intelligence (ICTAI2000), Vancouver, 2000, pp 82-85.
- Evolving rules from neural networks trained on continuous data. E. C. Keedwell, A. Narayanan and D. Savic, Proceedings of IEEE 2000 World Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC2000), Volume 1, 2000, 639-645.
- A quantum algorithm for route finding. A. Narayanan and J. Wallace, Cybernetics and Systems 2000: Proceedings of the Fifteenth European Meeting on Cybernetics and Systems Research (EMCSR 2000), R. Trappl (Ed.), Volume 1, Vienna, April 2000, pp 140-143.
- Quantum artificial neural networks vs classical artificial neural networks: Experiments in simulation. T. Menneer and A. Narayanan, Proceedings of the IEEE Fourth International Conference on Computational Intelligence and Neuroscience, Atlantic City, NJ, February 2000, pp. 757-759.
- Quantum computing for beginners. Proceedings of the IEEE/IEE World Congress on Evolutionary Computation (CEC99), Washington, DC, 1999, pp. 2231-2238.
- Animating legal testimony. A. Narayanan, G. Penny, S. Lochun and W. J. Milne. Proceedings of the 6th National Conference/2nd European Conference on Law, Computers and AI, 1998.
- DNA algorithms for computing shortest paths. A. Narayanan and S. Zorbalas. Genetic Programming 1998: Proceedings of the IEEE/ACM/AAAI Third Annual Conference, J. R. Koza et al. (Eds), 1998, pp. 718-724.
- An introductory tutorial on quantum computing. Quantum Computing: Theory, Applications and Implications, Institution of Electrical Engineers (IEE) Digest No. 97/145, 3pp, 1997. (NR)
- Structured walkthroughs for a virtual university, A. Narayanan, G. Penny and S. Hudson, Proceedings of 15th Annual Eurographics Conference (UK Chapter), 1997, pp. 65-74.
- Quantum-inspired genetic algorithms, A. Narayanan and M. Moore, Proceedings of the IEEE 3rd International Conference on Evolutionary Computation (ICEC96), Nagoya, pp 61-66.
- Quantum-inspired neural networks and consciousness, T. Menneer and A. Narayanan, Consciousness Research Abstracts (Tucson II), University of Arizona, 1996. (NR)
- Visualising quantum computing, A. Narayanan, M. O'Donovan and M. Moore, Proceedings of 14th Annual Eurographics Conference (UK Chapter), Volume 1, H. Jones, R. Raby and D. Vicars (Eds.), 1996, pp. 63-82.
- Handling exceptions in automatically generated knowledge bases, IEE Knowledge Discovery in Databases Colloquium Digest 1995/021(A), London: IEE Press, 1995, 3pp. (NR)
- Animating language, A. Narayanan, L. Ford, D. Manuel, D. Tallis, M. Yazdani, Workshop Notes, Integrating Natural Language and Vision, 12th (American) National Conference on Artificial Intelligence (AAAI-94), Seattle, USA, 1994, 8 pp.
- More notes on ‘A clash of intuitions’, R. Al-Asady and A. Narayanan, Proceedings of the 13th International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI-93), 1993, pp. 682-687.
- A representational architecture for nonmonotonic inheritance structures, M. Boden and A. Narayanan, Proceedings of the International Conference on Artificial Neural Networks (ICANN-93) (Amsterdam), S. Gielen and B. Kappen (eds.), Springer Verlag, 1993, pp. 343-349.
- On abstract, finite-state morphology, A. Narayanan and L. Hashem, Proceedings of the Sixth Conference of the European Chapter of the Association for Computational Linguistics (EACL-93), 1993, pp. 297-304.
- A three-level finite state model for Arabic morphology, A. Narayanan and L. Hashem, Proceedings of the 3rd International Conference on Multilingual Computing, Durham University, 1992, 24pp.
- OBOES: An object-oriented expert system for hardware diagnosis, A. Narayanan and P. Barbonis, Colloquium on Intelligent Fault Diagnosis, IEE, Digest 1992/045, London, February 1992.
- Intelligent Bioinformatics, E.C. Keedwell and A. Narayanan, Wiley, 2005, 280pp. (2nd print)
- Biocomputing and Emergent Computation, D. Lundh, B. Olsson and A. Narayanan (Eds.), World Scientific, 1997. 299pp.
- Proceedings of the Fifth National Conference/First European Conference on Law, Computers and Artificial Intelligence, I. M. Carr and A. Narayanan (Eds.), Exeter University Centre for Legal Interdisciplinary Development, 1996, 225pp.
- Law, Computer Science, and Artificial Intelligence, A. Narayanan and M. Bennun (Eds.), Ablex, 1991, 266pp. Reprinted as paperback in 1998.
- On Being a Machine (Volume 2): Philosophy of Artificial Intelligence, A. Narayanan, Ellis Horwood, 1990, 247pp.
- On Being a Machine (Volume 1): Formal Aspects of Artificial Intelligence, A. Narayanan, Ellis Horwood, 1988, 200pp.
- Introduction to LISP, A. Narayanan and N. E. Sharkey, Ellis Horwood, 1985, 260pp.
- Artificial Intelligence: Human Effects, M. Yazdani and A. Narayanan (eds.), Ellis Horwood, 1984, 318pp.