These Regulations apply to Libraries of the Auckland University of Technology.
1.1 The following persons shall be entitled to membership of the Library:
1.2 Associate Membership
- Staff and students of the University.
- Staff of the University's Students' Association.
- Members of the University Council.
- Members of the University Advisory Boards.
- Persons awarded an honorary status by the Council of the University.
- Persons who are officially and currently engaged in research and/or teaching AUT students.
Upon payment of a fee determined by the Library Advisory Committee, the following persons shall be entitled to associate membership of the Library:
- Staff and students of associated organisations (associated organisations have a written agreement or memorandum of understanding with AUT).
- Graduates of AUT and other New Zealand Universities. (the fee is rebated by 50% for AUT alumni).
- Members of the general public.
3. CONDUCT OF LIBRARY USERS
- Access to, and usage of, databases and other electronic resources must comply with specific licences, and may be restricted to members of the University.
- Library borrowers must present an AUT University identification card to borrow Library material.
- All borrowed material must be recorded as a loan.
- Borrowed materials remain the responsibility of the borrower until they are returned to the Library.
- Borrowers may be charged the replacement cost for materials lost or damaged while on loan to them.
- Borrowers are responsible for returning borrowed materials by the due date and are liable to pay a fine for overdue items, at a rate determined by the Library Advisory Committee. Outstanding Library charges may result in the withholding of academic results and/or the loss of Library borrowing privileges.
- Library materials may be recalled at any time and the borrower will be advised of the new due date by email. Disregard of a notice recalling Library material may incur a fine and/or the suspension of Library borrowing privileges.
- The loss of an AUT ID card should be reported to Library staff immediately to avoid liability for any costs incurred from use of that card by another person.
- Academic Registry should be informed directly of any change of contact details.
- Everyone in the Library shall respect the rights of other Library users.
- In order to maintain a safe environment Library users may be required to produce their AUT ID card, and must comply with any instructions from authorised staff.
- Library staff must not be obstructed in the performance of their duties.
- It is not permitted to smoke, take drugs, or drink alcohol in the Library.
- Hot food, or drinks that are not in capped or lidded containers, may not be consumed in the Library, and may be confiscated by authorised staff.
- Library property and resources must not be damaged or defaced. This includes any attempt to interfere with or damage computer hardware and software.
- Cell phones and mobile devices must be switched to silent mode.
- Silence must be observed in designated silent study areas in the Library.
- Books and any other articles left unattended in the Library may be removed by authorised staff.
- The Library acccepts no responsibility for personal belongings left unattended in the Library.
- Bags and personal belongings must be presented for inspection at the exit point if requested by an authorised staff member.
- In cases of emergency Library users are required to vacate the Library in accordance with instructions issued by authorised staff.
- Children must be accompanied and appropriately supervised by an adult at all times, while in the Library.
- All users of copying and printing facilities in the Library are required to comply with the provisions of the current Copyright Act.
- Permission is required from authorised staff for the distribution or posting of any notices or the distribution of any product in the Library.
- Permission is required from authorised staff for any filming and photography in the Library.
Failure to abide by the Library Regulations may result in the suspension of borrowing privileges, temporary exclusion from the Library and/or implementation of the University Disciplinary Statute.
Approved by Library Advisory Committee and Academic Board, 2003
Approved by Library Advisory Committee and Academic Board, August 2007
Approved by Library Advisory Committee and Academic Board, August 2011