• BCA (Hons) in Economics
• BA in English Literature
Social policy, Social assistance/welfare/tax credits, Family Policy, Child Support, Public policy
Current Research Projects
• Separated parents
• Child Support
• Welfare reform
Recent Publications – journal
• Fletcher, M. (2011). Some policy issues for reforms of assistance to sole parents Policy Quarterly, 7(2) http://ips.ac.nz/publications/publications/show/314
• Fletcher, M. (2009). “Social Policies in the Recession”, Policy Quarterly, 7(1). (http://ips.ac.nz/publications/publications/show/256)
Publications – reports
• St John, S., & Fletcher, M. (forthcoming). “Reforming child support”. In Dale, M. C., O'Brien, M., and St John, S. (eds.), Falling further behind. Auckland: Child Poverty Action Group.
• Fletcher, M. & Dwyer, M. (2008). A fair go for all children: Actions to address child poverty in New Zealand, Office of the Children’s Commissioner, Wellington. (http://www.occ.org.nz/publications/reports_documents)
• Fletcher, M. (2009) Addressing the growth in sickness and invalid’s benefit receipt. Report to the New Zealand Treasury.
• Fletcher, M. (1999). Migrant Settlement: A Review of the Literature and its Relevance to New Zealand, New Zealand Immigration Service, Wellington. (http://www.dol.govt.nz/publication-view.asp?ID=47)
• Fletcher, M. (1999). Employment and Training Programmes: Māori Participation and Outcomes, Monitoring and Evaluation Branch, Te Puni Kōkiri, Wellington.
• Fletcher, M. (1995). 'Changes in Registered Unemployment: Duration and Flows', Labour Market Bulletin, No. 1, Department of Labour, Wellington.
• Fletcher, M. (1995). 'Pacific Islands Peoples in the Labour Market (Research Summary)', Labour Market Bulletin, No. 1, Department of Labour, Wellington.
Recent Conference, seminar presentations
• Fletcher, M. (2009). “Child poverty in New Zealand, tax credits and the recession”, presented to Beyond Social Inclusion: Towards a More Equal Society? 25th Anniversary International Conference, Centre for Research in Social Policy, Loughborough University, Leicester, UK. January.
• Fletcher, M. (2008). “New Zealand Economic and Social Policy in the Face of the Global Crisis” Presentation to VUW Institute of Policy Studies’ symposium, November.
Marilyn Waring honoured by human rights award
Tireless human rights work has seen AUT's Professor Marilyn Waring receive the Amnesty International Aotearoa NZ Human Rights Defender Award for 2013.
IPP submission expresses concerns over proposed changes to local government bill
The Local Government Centre within IPP has expressed concerns over proposed changes to the the Local Government Amendment Bill.