Medical and travel insurance: compulsory for international students at AUT

As an international student in New Zealand and to meet the requirements of your visa, you must have appropriate medical and travel insurance. This must cover your time studying in, and travelling to and from New Zealand. This page outlines where you can get insurance, how much it costs and the steps you need to follow.

Obtaining medical and travel insurance with AUT’s preferred provider

AUT has appointed insurance brokers, Marsh Limited, to manage our insurance plan called Studentsafe-University, which is insured by Allianz.

The Studentsafe-University plan includes
  • Free health care from doctors, nurses and counselling staff at on-campus clinics for matters coming under the scope of the insurance
  • No application forms if you are only applying for yourself- the premium will simply be added to tuition fees at enrolment
  • Students are automatically insured for up to 31 days prior to the course start date (including insurance for travel from the home country)

The annual premium for 2017 is:

  • Student insurance: NZD $589.00 (for 2 semesters)
  • Family insurance: NZD $1472.00 (which includes student, spouse and dependent children)
  • Family insurance: Couple rate: NZD $1178.00 (which includes student and spouse)
Family cover

If you are arriving in New Zealand with family, you should strongly consider obtaining Studentsafe family cover. If you do not cover your family, all medical expenses, including hospital treatment will be at your own cost. To put this fact into perspective for you, one night’s hospital stay can cost over NZ$1,000. All school age children will be required to have cover to be enrolled in a NZ school.

If you want to include your family in your policy, please complete the student safe - family member application form pdf icon (2 pages, 681 kB)

For full details of the student safe university policy, visit the student safe website

How to be reimbursed for expenses on an insurance claim

If you have a claim, you will have to complete and submit the Studentsafe claim form. Attach original receipts and post it to the address on the form. We recommend that you keep a copy of the form and receipts for your records.

Studentsafe claim form pdf icon (4 pages, 81 kB)

About Marsh Limited

AUT’s Studentsafe-University insurance is managed by Marsh Limited - an insurance broker and adviser who specialises in designing and managing appropriate travel and medical insurance for international students.

Marsh services include:

  • A help desk for you when you have insurance enquiries
  • Help when you feel your claim has been treated unfairly or you have a complex claim to make and are not sure how to go about it

If you need assistance at any time please call the Marsh Helpdesk on 0800 909 808.

Obtaining medical and travel insurance through one of  AUT’s other approved providers

If you wish you can obtain medical and travel insurance from one of the other approved providers listed below.

If you do purchase an alternative insurance policy from a provider on the approved list you will need to ensure the insurance cover is for the length of your visa.

If you do purchase an approved alternative insurance policy you will need to provide proof of your purchase.

You must present your insurance certificate to an AUT Student Hub no later than the Friday before you start your study at AUT.

Please note that after you commence your study at AUT, alternative policies will not be accepted and the cost of the preferred AUT insurance policy will be invoiced to you.

AUT's Other Approved Providers

  • InterGlobal – StudentCare Plan (NZ)
  • Uni-Care Ltd (NZ) – NZ Student Plan
  • Southern Cross Travel Insurance (NZ) – Student Max Plan
  • OrbitProtect – Prime Plan
  • Swedish State (Sweden) – Student UT Plan
  • Europeiske Norway
  • Europeiske Reiseforsikring
  • EUROPAEISCHE Reiseversicherungs AG
  • Gouda Travel Insurance (Sweden)
  • Gouda Reseforskring (CSN Insurance for Study Abroad)
  • Gouda Reseforskring / Gouda Travel Insurance (Norway/Denmark/Sweden)
  • ACE Europe
  • Gjensidige Travel Insurance (Norway)
  • ANSA (AIG) Student Insurance (Norway)
  • IHI (Bupa) Study Abroad Insurance (Denmark)
  • RUNA – (Denmark)    
  • ETU Forskring (Denmark)
  • TRYG (Denmark)

Back to top

Last updated: 31-Aug-2016 7.52am

The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.