Starting university is an exciting yet challenging time – meeting new people and making friends, learning new skills and dealing with new pressures. Even the simplest things like finding your way around campus can be a big task. That's why student ambassadors make a huge difference in the life of a first year student.
What is a student ambassador?
Student ambassadors volunteer their time to welcome new AUT students and help them settle in during their first semester. They also volunteer at events throughout the year. Student ambassadors can answer all your questions – from study tips and great places to eat to where to go if you need support.
Each student ambassador is assigned a group of 10 to 15 first year students at Orientation. During the semester you can contact your student mentor to ask questions, seek advice or find out information.
How do I get a student ambassador?
- Attend AUT Orientation – we will automatically assign you an ambassador.
Become a student ambassador
A small time commitment can make a big difference in a new student’s experience at AUT! It’s a great chance to meet new people, develop your leadership and communication skills – and looks great on your CV.
What it involves
- You must be a current student and have completed at least one year at AUT
- You commit 10 - 15 hours per semester (approximately)
- You will be assigned a group of new AUT students at Orientation. Training will be provided before the start of semester – you won't be thrown into the deep end.
- Volunteering to assist with AUT events
As a student ambassador you benefit from:
Applications for 2015 Now Open
Apply now to become a student ambassador in 2015 - Find out more
- Social events, meeting people and making new friends
- Opportunities for paid part-time employment on campus
- Exclusive use of the student ambassador computers (City and North Shore Campus)
- Information about personal development workshops covering transferable skills such as communication, leadership and organisational skills
- Verification of participation in the student ambassador programme
- Satisfaction of helping new students.
- Developing skills that will add to your employability when your graduate
- Opportunities to gain industry relations with the events you assist with
- Opportunities to network with potential employers through the events you assist with
Ambassador space: WB132
Phone: +64 9 921 9999 ext 8124
Last updated: 01-Aug-2014 9.03am
The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.