Starting university is an exciting yet challenging time – meeting new people and making friends, learning new skills and dealing with new pressures. Even the simplest things like finding your way around campus can be a big task. That's why student mentors make a huge difference in the life of a first year student.
What is a student mentor?
Student mentors volunteer their time to welcome new AUT students and help them settle in during their first semester. Student mentors can answer all your questions – from study tips and great places to eat to where to go if you need support.
Each student mentor is assigned a group of 10 to 15 first year students at Orientation. During the semester your student mentor will provide you with tips, tell you about upcoming events and answer any questions or queries.
How do I get a student mentor?
Become a student mentor
A small time commitment can make a big difference in a new student’s experience at AUT! It’s a great chance to meet new people, develop your leadership and communication skills – and looks great on your CV.
What it involves
- You must be a current student and have completed at least one semester at AUT
- You commit 10 - 15 hours per semester (approximately)
- You will be assigned a group of new AUT students at Orientation; preferably from your programme
- You need to keep in regular contact with your group via email, phone and in person
- Training will be provided before the start of semester – you won't be thrown into the deep end
As a student mentor you benefit from:
Apply now to become a student mentor - Find out more
- $20 Westfield voucher and $5 towards your AUT internet or printing account
- Social events, meeting people and making new friends
- Priority for paid part-time employment on campus
- Exclusive use of the mentor space with computers, printer and phone access (City and North Shore Campus)
- Personal development workshops covering transferable skills such as communication, leadership and organisational skills
- A written reference
- Satisfaction of helping new students
Mentor space: WB132
Phone: +64 9 921 9913