Starting university is an exciting yet challenging time – meeting new people and making friends, learning new skills and dealing with new pressures. Even the simplest things like finding your way around campus can be a big task. That's why student mentors make a huge difference in the life of a first year student.
What is a student mentor?
Student mentors volunteer their time to welcome new AUT students and help them settle in during their first semester. They also volunteer at events throughout the year. Student mentors can answer all your questions – from study tips and great places to eat to where to go if you need support.
Each student mentor is assigned a group of 10 to 15 first year students at Orientation. During the semester you can contact your student mentor to ask questions, seek advice or find out information.
How do I get a student mentor?
- Attend AUT Orientation – we will automatically assign you a mentor
Become a student mentor
A small time commitment can make a big difference in a new student’s experience at AUT! It’s a great chance to meet new people, develop your leadership and communication skills – and looks great on your CV.
What it involves
- You must be a current student and have completed at least one year at AUT
- You commit 10 - 15 hours per semester (approximately)
- You will be assigned a group of new AUT students at Orientation
- Training will be provided before the start of semester – you won't be thrown into the deep end.
As a student mentor you benefit from:
Apply now to become a student mentor - Find out more
- Small tokens of appreciation, such as vouchers or printing credit
- Social events, meeting people and making new friends
- Opportunities for paid part-time employment on campus
- Exclusive use of the mentor space computers (City and North Shore Campus)
- Information about personal development workshops covering transferable skills such as communication, leadership and organisational skills
- Verification of participation in the student mentor programme
- Satisfaction of helping new students.
Mentor space: WB132
Phone: +64 9 921 9913