External accommodation options for AUT students

Accommodation options close to AUT include apartments, houses, homestays, student accommodation, backpackers and generally involve independent living on your own, with other students or individuals in the workforce. 

If you are interested in any of the accommodation options then please contact the accommodation provider directly for information on booking, availability and tenancy costs.

These accommodation options have not been inspected by AUT staff to verify the quality standard, nor are they endorsed by AUT. 

What to consider when choosing accommodation

  • Length of tenancy - for a semester only or for a full year?
  • Sharing with others or living by yourself? Living with others means sharing costs, cleaning duties and sometimes cooking - see our guide on flatting with others.
  • Distance to supermarkets and other shops - are these in walking distance or close to public transport?
  • Noise level - do you prefer noisy or quiet living environments?
  • Transport costs to get to AUT - see Travel to AUT for information about costs. Check the Auckland Transport Journey Planner for bus/train/ferry costs and travel times.

Short-term accommodation

Are you new to Auckland and have not yet managed to secure accommodation? We recommend a short-term option such as a backpackers or youth hostel. These give you time to get settled into Auckland while you look for somewhere suitable to live longer term.

Backpackers and youth hostels in central Auckland

Long-term accommodation

Long-term accommodation for either a semester or a full academic year is more cost effective while living in Auckland. Expect to pay a bond (typically two-four weeks of rent), and also one week's rent (or more) in advance. The bond is returned to you at the end of your stay as long as the property is in a clean and tidy condition.

Accommodation close to City Campus

Accommodation close to North Campus

Accommodation close to South Campus

Homestay providers

A homestay is a great option if you would prefer to experience living in a Kiwi household with a family.

You are provided with a home-cooked meal every day and integrate into a family. Most students who live with families find this a great way to experience New Zealand culture.

(Some families may have pets so if this is something you would prefer not to have then you can express this request on your application form).

Please note: AUT recommends that International Students who are under 18 years old who are not living with their parents or a designated caregiver should live in a homestay.

Contact the following organisations directly if you are interested in living with a New Zealand family.

Other accommodation options

Real estate agents

  • Renting your own private apartment or house is suitable for students who want to live on their own, or for postgraduate students who need accommodation that is suitable for a family. 
  • Keep in mind that most rentals in central Auckland are very expensive. Suburbs are slightly cheaper but you should consider what the daily transport costs will be to AUT.
  • When looking for accommodation you should only use a real estate agency that is registered with the Real Estate Institute of NZ (REINZ). If the agent and the property manager representing the real estate agency is not a member we do not recommend you use them. 
  • Find a real estate agent here
  • For more information about REINZ and their Rules and Code of Ethics check out their website.

Useful information

  • If at any time you feel unsure about the process of finding accommodation, talk to the AUT Accommodation Co-ordinator at The Student Hub, International Student Support, the Citizens Advice BureauTenancy Services, or the Tenant's Protection Association.
  • Before you sign a tenancy agreement or contract be aware of your rights and obligations. You can pick up a copy of “Tenancy Services – Renting and you: A guide for landlords and tenants” from any Student Hub office. Or you can read it here.
  • Never pay money into an individual’s account. Monies should be paid into the account of the accommodation itself or of the real estate / property management company.  
  • Never pay money into an overseas account, it should only be paid into a New Zealand bank account. Even if the owner lives overseas they would use a New Zealand property management agency to collect rental monies.
  • Make sure you are given a receipt or acknowledgement of payment for the rent you have paid. We recommend that you do not pay cash and instead transfer funds from your account directly to the property management company.


Last updated: 27-Oct-2017 4.00pm

The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.