New students: Pre-entry advice

AUT students who are Deaf or have an impairment can visit the AUT Student Hub for information and support to help them participate fully in learning. 

Pre-entry advice: what to do before you start at AUT

Please contact us to make an appointment for your individual needs assessment interview. We will discuss the help you need, and if required, develop a support plan.

Contact AUT's Student Hub


When you enrol, you will be asked if you have a disability and if this affects your study. Students who tell us they have a disability that affects their ability to study will be contacted by us to discuss what kind of support they may need.

The information is also used for statistical purposes, so the Ministry of Education can compile reports for example. However, only you and some student support staff can view the disability information that you provide.

Remember: The support you receive is not documented on your academic record or marked on your qualification.

Orientation and transition

Orientation is a great opportunity for you to finalise any outstanding enrolment issues and get important information about your course from the programme leaders. Orientation is a also a good way to meet people and make new friends.

Read more about AUT Orientation
Back to top

Verification of impairment

Your individual assessment may identify your need for specialist equipment or software, academic accommodations or specific support staff.

To access appropriate resources you need to provide:
  • Medical evidence of your impairment or condition; or
  • Valid supporting professional assessments of your educational needs

Verification can be provided from:
  • An educational psychologist, or similar
  • A primary health care professional
  • A registered disability provider - e.g. The Foundation for the Blind, Deaf Aotearoa New Zealand
  • AUT's Student Learning team
  • AUT's Student Advisor - Mental Health (not a diagnostic service, but will liaise with you and your mental health practitioner to confirm diagnoses and needs)

Contact us if you are unsure about the documentation you need

How will my lecturers know what kind of help I need?

The Student Hub Advisors will ensure your lecturers and departments know what support you need and who is responsible for providing it. If there are any changes to your programme that affect what you need, you must contact us so that we can review and adapt what has been arranged for you.

The details of your impairment will stay private and will not be shared with your lecturers unless you have given permission to do so. You may wish to consider sharing some information about the help you need with your lecturers as they may have their own ideas about how best to support you in their classes. We can help you to talk to your lecturers.
Back to top

Last updated: 04-Mar-2016 1.30pm

The information on this page was correct at time of publication. For a comprehensive overview of AUT qualifications, please refer to the Academic Calendar.